none
VHD will not mount RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old VHD file that was used for windows XP mode on windows 7. I have some important documents saved on the VHD but I have not needed to access them for several years. I have changed my system configuration since then (New OS install, running windows 10 pro). All I’d like to do is mount the VHD so I can copy my files but when I try windows shows the message “The chain of virtual hard disks is broken. The system cannot locate the parent virtual hard disk for the differencing disk”. In my research I found that  VhdTool.exe might be a solution but it needs info that I don’t have. Can someone please point my in the right direction?    

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 8:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What this is saying is that you have a differencing VHD file. These are created by storing differences from a parent VHD. To use the file that you have, you need the parent VHD as well, as what you have isn't a disk, it's just a list of changes. As such, you can only mount this file if you also have the parent VHD.

Regards,
    -Tomi

Tomi Pietilä

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Blog
    Twitter
    LinkedIn

Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:47 AM
  • Thanks, where would virtual PC store the parent VHD for a windows XP mode machine and what would the file extension be?

Thursday, June 8, 2017 3:26 AM
  • Good news, I have located the base parent VHD. Now I need a way to link them back together. The prevailing wisdom on many forums is to use “VhdTool.exe” but that application has been discontinued by Microsoft. Can you tell my if I’m on the right track and what I can do from hear?

Thursday, June 8, 2017 12:32 PM
  • At least post useful info, like where you found this parent file so others can benefit from what you've found. ;)

C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode\Windows XP Mode base.vhd

• Edited by Loqutas Friday, August 9, 2019 11:52 PM
    Friday, August 9, 2019 11:47 PM