SCCM 1606 and Failed Windows 10 1607 Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I created a SCCM task sequence using the 'Upgrade an operating system from an upgrade package' template and the task sequence works provided there is not an issue during the upgrade. If the upgrade fails Windows automatically reverts back to Windows 7. This is great, but the task sequence never continues and the 'Rollback on Failure' group never executes.

I have post processing that needs to be executed after a rollback that installs applications which were uninstalled prior to the 'Upgrade Operating System' step being run.

I found after the rollback that the ccmexec service is disabled. Looking through the logs it is disabled by the 'Upgrade Operating System' step in the task sequence.

If I manually enable the ccmexec service and restart the machine, Software Center is empty. Forcing a Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle does not fix the problem. Reinstalling the client by running ccmsetup does not fix the problem. The only way to get Software Center to show applications is to completely uninstall the SCCM client and then run ccmsetup again.

Any ideas on how to get the 'Rollback on Failure' group to execute?

Thanks,
    Scott

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 6:25 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your responses. I've reworked my task sequence so I don't need to execute anyting in the 'Rollback on Failure' group. When I have free time I'll poke around and see if I can't determine a root cause, but for now it's no longer an issue.

Thanks,
    Scott

• Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Thursday, September 22, 2016 1:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Tuesday, September 27, 2016 1:40 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:56 PM

All replies

• Dear Sir,

You need to know at which step your task sequence failed then you'll know if this is task sequence issue or problem with the upgrade package.

The Roll back step is built-in and I believe there's already scripts running background and it should run if the upgrade OS failed. Of course you can add extra steps in the group.

What's error in the log may be a good point to check the problem.

Some links regarding OSD task sequence with upgrade package, just for reference.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt613172.aspx

http://www.scconfigmgr.com/2015/10/26/deploy-windows-10-enterprise-using-in-place-upgrade/

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:54 AM
  • Which version of ConfigMgr are you using?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 6:42 AM
  • @Frank - I am powering the machine off in the middle of the upgrade to test failback. When I power the machine back on the SCCM generated setuprollback.cmd runs. After it finishes the task sequence group 'Rollback on Failure' never executes. I've pasted the contents of the setuprollback file below.

@Torsten - ConfigMgr 1606

=====

@ECHO OFF
    REM This script is written by ConfigMgr Task Sequence Upgrade Operating System action
    REM SetupRollback.cmd -- Upgrade Rolled back, calling TSMBootstrap to resume task sequence
    echo %DATE%-%TIME% Entering setuprollback.cmd >> C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\setuprollback.log

echo %DATE%-%TIME% Setting env var _SMSTSSetupRollback=TRUE >> C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\setuprollback.log
    SET _SMSTSSetupRollback=TRUE

echo %DATE%-%TIME% Setting registry to resume task sequence after reboot >> C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\setuprollback.log
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup" /v SetupType /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup" /v CmdLine /t REG_SZ /d "C:\Windows\SMSTSPostUpgrade\setuprollback.cmd" /f

echo %DATE%-%TIME% Running TSMBootstrap to resume task sequence >> C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\setuprollback.log
    C:\Windows\CCM\TSMBootstrap.exe /env:Gina /configpath:C:\_SMSTaskSequence /bootcount:2

IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU -2147021886 (
    echo %DATE%-%TIME% ERRORLEVEL = %ERRORLEVEL%  >> C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\setuprollback.log
    echo %DATE%-%TIME% TSMBootstrap requested reboot >> C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\setuprollback.log
    echo %DATE%-%TIME% Rebooting now >> C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\setuprollback.log
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup" /v SetupShutdownRequired /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    ) else (
    echo %DATE%-%TIME% ERRORLEVEL = %ERRORLEVEL%  >> C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\setuprollback.log
    echo %DATE%-%TIME% TSMBootstrap did not request reboot, resetting registry >> C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\setuprollback.log
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup" /v SetupType /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup" /v CmdLine /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    )
    echo %DATE%-%TIME% Exiting setuprollback.cmd >> C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\setuprollback.log

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 12:51 PM
  • Dear Sir,

The cmd file is part of the built-in task sequence for post rollback preparing. I don't know if power off the PC would  break the task sequence, but there should be information recorded in smsts.log. Anything useful in that log file?

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:40 AM
  • Thank you for your responses. I've reworked my task sequence so I don't need to execute anyting in the 'Rollback on Failure' group. When I have free time I'll poke around and see if I can't determine a root cause, but for now it's no longer an issue.

Thanks,
    Scott

• Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Thursday, September 22, 2016 1:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Tuesday, September 27, 2016 1:40 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:56 PM