none
Offsite DPM Server RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have 1 DPM 2010 Server backing up 14 servers utilizing aprox 2TB of disk space on a iSCSI LUN. I have just configured a IPSEC vpn to another site. I am now looking at putting another DPM Server at this remote location. What im trying to do is replicate the information from the primary DPM server to the secondary DPM server for disaster recovery say if the building burnt or something. is there something i can do or use to transfer the dpm information across the wan (which is a 30mbps dedicated fiber) to the remote location.

Thanks

Thursday, December 30, 2010 2:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Tim,

I'm just passed with the same issue, and i suggest on you to do the following: - Prepare the Secondary DPM server on the same site as the primary one on the same LAN then run the protection group from it to get the data from the primary one to be located on the secondary server. After that you can move the entire server to the new site and run consistence check on it.

DPM will handle an IP address change without issue if your other site is a different IP range. Provided you are not changing forests, domains or the DPM servername then you'll be OK. If you have firewalls in between site1 and site2 then you'll need to make sure the appropriate rules are allowed for DPM communication. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808766.aspx
    Also make sure that DNS updates if you change the IP address of the DPM server.

Hope that help you

Regards

• Marked as answer by Tim_MCP Sunday, January 2, 2011 5:36 PM
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

I'm just passed with the same issue, and i suggest on you to do the following: - Prepare the Secondary DPM server on the same site as the primary one on the same LAN then run the protection group from it to get the data from the primary one to be located on the secondary server. After that you can move the entire server to the new site and run consistence check on it.

DPM will handle an IP address change without issue if your other site is a different IP range. Provided you are not changing forests, domains or the DPM servername then you'll be OK. If you have firewalls in between site1 and site2 then you'll need to make sure the appropriate rules are allowed for DPM communication. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808766.aspx
    Also make sure that DNS updates if you change the IP address of the DPM server.

Hope that help you

Regards

• Marked as answer by Tim_MCP Sunday, January 2, 2011 5:36 PM
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Thats great news, and yes the secondary DPM server will have a diffrent IP address on the other side on the VPN. i got it all setup, just need to replicate 2TB of data to it and lets see what happens. I will post my update

Thanks

Sunday, January 2, 2011 5:36 PM