none
IIS Worker Process Consuming all available memory and 100% CPU Usage RRS feed

• Question

• In the past couple of days my UAG box has become pretty much non-responsive. Outlook Anywhere can't seem to make a connection and half the time I can't even access the portal. It appears from looking at Task Manager that the IIS worker process is consuming all available memory and CPU usage is running at 100% with the worker process and LSASS consuming most of the cycles.

I haven't made any recent changes to this box other than applying the .NET 4 Framework patches on 4/20. This is a dedicated UAG box with nothing else running on it, and a reboot or an iisreset works for a short while and then it goes back to being non-repsonsive. Any ideas?

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Paul,

It can be difficult to narrow down what is causing this, but what you said about the .Net Framework may be related. A UAG server is not supposed to have .Net 4, but .Net 3.5. The UAG code uses .Net, so by installing .Net 4, you may have caused damage to the system. I would suggest you REMOVE .Net 4 and see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't help, you might try backing up your UAG config, reinstalling the server and restoring from backup.

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS UAG/IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:36 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

It can be difficult to narrow down what is causing this, but what you said about the .Net Framework may be related. A UAG server is not supposed to have .Net 4, but .Net 3.5. The UAG code uses .Net, so by installing .Net 4, you may have caused damage to the system. I would suggest you REMOVE .Net 4 and see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't help, you might try backing up your UAG config, reinstalling the server and restoring from backup.

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS UAG/IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:36 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:36 PM
  • I have also seen a similar problem with a customer running the RTM version of UAG. I have been trying to upgrade their Windows/TMG/UAG elements to the latest patch versions in order to solve this, but due to a UAG SP1 install failure I haven't managed this yet :(

The problem seems to occur after activation in  my experience - would you concur?

Pretty sure they are not running .NET4 though, as no updates have been applied to the servers since UAG RTM!!!

Cheers

JJ 

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd | My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 1:50 PM
  • i had to uninstall the UAG in order to come over this issue !

Best Regards

Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:08 PM
  • We are having this exact same issue with UAG on W2k8 R2 64-bit using a massive amount of memory resources.  I have found other articles here and there with users experiencing the same issues, but no definitive answer on what the problem is.   I find it puzzling that so many people are having the same issues and MS is mysteriously quiet?!?!??
    Monday, January 28, 2013 7:30 PM
  • Actually turned out to be a known issue with Windows 2008 RTM. 
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:24 PM