exch 2010 - Disable Troubleshoot-DatabaseSpace.ps1 provisioning change on low disk space RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of mailbox servers running 2010 where the troubleshoot-databasespace.ps1 disables provisioning when diskspace is low.

my customer has decided they can squeeze more users onto the servers, and want to disable this script.

Where is this script begin ran from?
    The only rules/monitors i can find mentioning this script are disabled, and the managementpack guide dosnt mention anything about tweaking this script.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:32 PM

Answers

• Good idea.  Like I said, I saw this being used as a data source.  However, I can't find a monitor or a rule that is kicking it off.  I suspect the correlation engine has something to do with this, because it is driven by some "events" that are collected.  So when the correlation engine sees these events, and other conditions, then it tells the agent to execute the powershell script.  This information may not be presented in the mp, but perhaps built into the SDK instance and correlation engine, but that's just a guess on my part.
    Regards, Blake Email: mengotto<at>hotmail.com Blog: http://discussitnow.wordpress.com/
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, July 22, 2011 8:27 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:09 PM

All replies

• I see the monitor under the Information Store Class.  Disabling it here doesn't stop this?  I unsealed the MP and found that this is a data source that seems to be driven by an event.   So if some event is detected, then this script gets kicked off.  Try unsealing the MP and then do a find for the script name.  Eventually you may come across a particular event that is executing this.  Then find the name of that rule, and disable it.  I wasn't able to find much on this unfortunately, sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Maybe the Exchange 2010 MP product owner knows the answer.
    Regards, Blake Email: mengotto<at>hotmail.com Blog: http://discussitnow.wordpress.com/
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 7:36 AM
  • The only monitor i see there is a monitor called "KHI: Failed to execute Troubleshoot-DatabaseSpace.ps1."

Looks like that one is for when the script fails, and thus not for launching the script.

Thanks for helping me this far.

I think i´m going to get hold of the exchange people and ask them.

Monday, July 18, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Good idea.  Like I said, I saw this being used as a data source.  However, I can't find a monitor or a rule that is kicking it off.  I suspect the correlation engine has something to do with this, because it is driven by some "events" that are collected.  So when the correlation engine sees these events, and other conditions, then it tells the agent to execute the powershell script.  This information may not be presented in the mp, but perhaps built into the SDK instance and correlation engine, but that's just a guess on my part.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, July 22, 2011 8:27 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Hi,

The KHI: Failed to execute Troubleshoot-DatabaseSpace.ps1. Monitor is actually the one that launches the script.

In fact it refers a monitor type which contains a composite Data Source which contains another composite Data Source which contains a script Data Source (phewww)

In the authoring console you can see the following:

You monitor refers MonitorType : Script Stateful Single Event Unit Monitor Type (ID:ScriptInstanceStatefulEventUnitMonitorType.Execute_Troubleshoot_DatabaseSpace_diagnostic_script.)

which contains module ScriptInstanceEventMapperDST.Execute_Troubleshoot_DatabaseSpace_diagnostic_script.

which contains module ScriptInstanceDST.Execute_Troubleshoot_DatabaseSpace_diagnostic_script.

The last one is the one launching the script. So to disable the script you have to disable the monitor.

Regards.

Supervize Me ©

Friday, March 2, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Which is what we did.  Disabled.  

Friday, March 2, 2012 8:51 PM