New Management Console? RRS feed

• Question

• Haven't visited this forum or the Forefront Technet site in a while. The current documentation appears to be saying there is now a low priced Management Console available (suggested price $98). Is this correct?

In early 2008 several of us worked together to create a Group Policy Object for controlling "stand alone" installs of the Client Security agent. However, if there is now a reasonably priced Management Console then I will definitly purchase it.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:19 PM

Answers

• Think I found the answer to my own question. I misinterpreted the wording at http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/clientsecurity/en/us/pricing-licensing.aspx

It is giving the price of the Management Console minus SQL Server for those who license SQL Server separately. Oh well, got all exciting for nothing. I still think Microsoft is missing out on a ton of money by not offering an inexpensive console for configuring Forefront client.

Security Essentials can't be used by a small business, and the cost of the Forefront console almost guarantees that most small businesses will never switch to Forefront. Think of the millions of workstations at small businesses running other malware solutions that could be running Forefront if it didn't require $2,500 per year for the console. 99% of typical small businesses with 10 - 15 workstations and a server simply buy licenses for something like Norton for $60 or $70 a pop.

Microsoft's product line leaves a huge gap between Security Essentials and Forefront. I believe I could get creative and offer a Forefront client only product. Call it "Security Essentials Pro" or whatever. Maybe Microsoft is leaving this big hole for a reason, like preserving this niche for companies like Symantec so they don't get sued.
    • Marked as answer by lofty10 Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:18 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:12 PM