Windows Server 2008 R2 Failover Cluster IP address reset RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all, thanks in advance for any help!

Recently, We had an admin leave and I was checking out a rfailover cluster that he had set up.  I realized that he had set the clusters failover IP address to a local subnet, then forgotten to change it to the new subnet when he moved it.  Consequently, when going into the clustering management, the IP shows as being offline.  My question is, when I change that IP address to a valid subnet IP, what will happen to the cluster?  Will it need to reboot the nodes?  Will any of the current HyperV machines lose connectivity, even briefly?

Anyone had to do this before?

• Moved by Tim Quan Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:07 AM (From:Windows Server 2008 R2 High Availability)
    Monday, June 14, 2010 12:37 PM

Answers

• Hi CDShriver,

as the ressource is currently offline, nothing will happen. No reboot is required you can directly "try" to bring the ressource online. what ressource is exaclty offline ? Cluster core IP ?

No danger for your Hyper-V communication, again the ressource is already offline ;-)

Regards

Ramazan

• Marked as answer by Tim Quan Friday, June 18, 2010 1:50 AM
    Monday, June 14, 2010 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi CDShriver,

as the ressource is currently offline, nothing will happen. No reboot is required you can directly "try" to bring the ressource online. what ressource is exaclty offline ? Cluster core IP ?

No danger for your Hyper-V communication, again the ressource is already offline ;-)

Regards

Ramazan

• Marked as answer by Tim Quan Friday, June 18, 2010 1:50 AM
    Monday, June 14, 2010 8:21 PM
  • On July 1st we will be making Windows Server 2008 R2 High Availability forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the High Availability (Clustering) Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the High Availability (Clustering) Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the High Availability (Clustering) Forum.

Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:17 AM