none
DPM Backup Destinations RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

We are evaluating going with DPM to backup our laptop users critical data.  Presently, we are an SCCM and SCSM shop with the possibility of deploying SCOM and SCDPM.  With respect to the DPM, I think I have found the following information to be true:

• 1 DPM server can handle up to 1000 clients.  So, our environment with around 450 client should be OK - correct?
    • As files are changed, are the replicated back to the DPM server immediately, or is the backup performed on a scheduled basis?
    • Does the laptop backup data need to go to a DPM server, or can I have it go to a local server.  For example, we would have our DPM server in our main location.  However, I have 25 locations spattered around the world.  Will all users around the world have to have their data backed up to our corp DPM server not local servers - unless I want to put DPM servers locally throughout the different locations?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sean

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

i'll try to answer your questions.

1/ Yes you'll be able to backup your 450 clients with one DPM server.

2/ The changes are replicated to DPM on a scheduled basis. You are configuring the synchronization for these clients (15 minutes minimum).

3/ Clients are backing date on the DPM Server directly and you can't configure it to be redirected to a local server.
    The solution in the case you are exposing will be either increase network bandwidth between sites or configure 1 DPM Server per site.

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynoldsModerator Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by seanka79 Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:14 PM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:48 PM