two installations of Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hi...

I'm helping a friend and need assistance please.  He was having trouble with his computer and decided to use the "system restore" disc that came with his Dell laptop.   During this process, he must have chosen to put an additional instance of Vista on his computer instead of wiping out the old one (this is my best guess).  The result is that the computer boots to the new installation, but all of the other settings, etc. exist in a windows.old file, which is taking up nearly 100% of his hard drive.   Basically what I'd like to do is preserve a lot of the data and some of the programs from the windows.old file and then delete the rest to free up a lot of the space it's taking up.  I just don't want to screw anything up.  Suggestions?  Is manual the best way to go?  Will program files (like Photoshop) transfer just by dragging them from one folder to the next?

Thanks!!!

Friday, November 25, 2011 5:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Why not use the system restore to restore the issue not occurs?

Please check if the steps in the following KB article helps:

How to restore a computer to a previous Windows installation after you install Windows Vista

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:50 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:00 AM