The trial period for this product has expired - Cannot enter product key in Central Admin RRS feed

• Question

• We have WSS 3.0 and all of the sudden, our search has stopped working (The trial period for this product has expired).  We don't have a trial version installed so we shouldn't be seeing this error.  When I check Central Admin>Operations>Convert License Type, the Product Key field is blank and it is Read Only.  I have our Product Key but am unable to enter it in.  Any suggestions?

I've found a ton of other posts on similar issues, but the only real answer I've seen is that this field becomes Read Only when you are already upgraded.  Since I am getting the trial version error, I think we can rule that out as being the case here. 

Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, if you need to upgrade to enterprise from standard license you will have to go to Central Administration > Operations > Enable Enterprise Features. If your license is already Enterprise both options (Standard and Enterprise) will be grayed out and Enterprise will already be selected. This will help you identify what type of license you have applied. Please have a try.

Best Regards
    David Hu

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Monday, May 23, 2011 1:26 AM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 2:30 AM

All replies

• Do you mean you have SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS 2007)? That is a known issue when service pack (SP2) applied and there is a hotfix for that. see if this helps you.

Can you confirm what version you have from the Central Admin > Operations > Servers in the farm page?

Thanks!

BlueSky2010
    Friday, May 13, 2011 2:54 AM
  • This is what I am seeing:

Farm Information

Version: 12.0.0.6421
    Server Services Running Version Remove Server
    SERVER1
    Windows SharePoint Services Outgoing E-Mail

SERVER2
    Windows SharePoint Services Database

SERVER3
    Central Administration
    Office SharePoint Server Search
    Windows SharePoint Services Help Search
    Windows SharePoint Services Incoming E-Mail
    Windows SharePoint Services Web Application

Friday, May 13, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Installed the hotfix and rebooted the server and the search is working now!  I'm a bit concerned that the Product Key field is still blank but the search seems to be working again.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 1:09 PM
  • I'm glad Search working for you now.

Regarding product key - are you checking the 'Convert License Type"? What does it say for your Current License?

BlueSky2010
    Friday, May 13, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, if you need to upgrade to enterprise from standard license you will have to go to Central Administration > Operations > Enable Enterprise Features. If your license is already Enterprise both options (Standard and Enterprise) will be grayed out and Enterprise will already be selected. This will help you identify what type of license you have applied. Please have a try.

Best Regards
    David Hu

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Monday, May 23, 2011 1:26 AM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 2:30 AM