HyperV 2012 R2 vs 2012 R2 server core or GUI RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a production cluster I want to setup and I'm thinking of installing 2012 R2 rather than the Hyper-V 2012 R2 OS purely as I find the server core an absolute pain, simple things like accessing the hyper-V manager host on a workgroup computer, manipulating firewall rules and changing disk partitions become painful when using the command line.

Am I right in thinking Server 2012 R2, hyper-V would work just as well? And the main advantage of the Hyper-V 2012 R2 OS is licensing and the OS is optimised?

PS - I'm well aware of the benefits of core= less security risks and less patching.

Thanks

Friday, June 3, 2016 3:03 PM

Answers

• Hyper-V is Hyper-V, regardless of the SKU / installation option of Server.

The Hyper-V portion is identical code.  The difference is the footprint of the Management OS.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, June 15, 2016 7:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Friday, June 17, 2016 8:07 AM
    Friday, June 3, 2016 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hyper-V is Hyper-V, regardless of the SKU / installation option of Server.

The Hyper-V portion is identical code.  The difference is the footprint of the Management OS.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, June 15, 2016 7:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Friday, June 17, 2016 8:07 AM
    Friday, June 3, 2016 3:27 PM
  • I find the server core an absolute pain

A great feature of 2012 is that the GUI can be installed / uninstalled very easily. Many administrators will install the OS with the GUI, configure it, then remove the GUI so it acts like core. If you need to make any changes you can re-enable the GUI, make the change, then remove it again.

PS: You need to restart the server after enabling/disabling the GUI for the change to take affect.

Friday, June 3, 2016 3:56 PM
  • Reports are that this capability is going away with 2016 - the ability to move back and forth between Core and Full.

And I believe that Core as we know it today is also not going to be there.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, June 3, 2016 4:03 PM
  • Hi Peter,

I agree with Brian that there is no difference on Hyper-V of the OSes.

Hyper-V 2012 R2 and Server Core could save disk spaces and system resources.

If you are not familiar with powershell cmdlets and remote management, you could install Server 2012 R2 full.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 6, 2016 6:44 AM
  • You could start with WS 2012R2 with GUI and start getting used with Powershell after which you can remove the GUI. As BrianEh said, in the future it might not be possible anymore to switch and considering that Nano might be the best option for Hyper-V i'd rather start investing some time in Powershell.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 9:18 PM