IM fails randomly RRS feed

• Question

• Help Me!

I could not find a reason why one of the user has randomly failed IM conversations. Also the presence getting lost for him. Totally randomly, so the Lync/Skype is working most of the time.

In the reports, I just could find the error which said: "The client transaction has timed out":

and I could not find any more in the logs fro mthe server:

It says "Request was proxied to one or more registered endpoints", however the client is not using the Lync at other PC nor mobile. The client is using the Lync just on 1 computer, using just 1 endpoint.

Does anybody has any idea why it is happening randomly? The client is using the most fresh version of Lync 2013 with S4B UI: Lync 2013 (15.0.4841.1000)

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 11:45 AM

Answers

• Agreed, it sounds like there's a network issue or something interfering with the network.  I've seen this with some endpoint protection software that gets too involved with the networking traffic and delays it during inspection causing issues.  But, it could really be anything, bad duplex settings in the network settings, a NIC that's acting up, something else popping up with a duplicate IP address, even a bad video/audio/webcam/bluetooth driver causing Lync to hiccup.  Other clients such as Outlook may not show the overall disconnect as they're not as sensitive to these issues.  If it's not affecting anyone else in your environment, I would start by trying to remove as many variables as possible to track down what is causing the problem.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alice-Wang Friday, August 19, 2016 10:17 AM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:58 PM
  • As you mentioned this is only one machine, I would prefer netmon.

But if there are more users, then I would suggest for clslogging or ocslogger.

run a netmon trace and filter with FE or pool ip. I think, it has very less chances to figure out.

As Anthony suggested, the easiest way to use ping. but that also wont shows if any drops on the firewall.

- Muralidharan. Please mark as answer/useful if my contribution helps you.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Thomee,

Looks like the network may not be stable. If this is the only user has complaints about it, I would suggest the next step to check that users laptop.

If there are multiple users complaining about it, the you may need network trace to figure out.

When you click on the id 13019, what it shows?

This must provide an overall idea...

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Agreed, it sounds like there's a network issue or something interfering with the network.  I've seen this with some endpoint protection software that gets too involved with the networking traffic and delays it during inspection causing issues.  But, it could really be anything, bad duplex settings in the network settings, a NIC that's acting up, something else popping up with a duplicate IP address, even a bad video/audio/webcam/bluetooth driver causing Lync to hiccup.  Other clients such as Outlook may not show the overall disconnect as they're not as sensitive to these issues.  If it's not affecting anyone else in your environment, I would start by trying to remove as many variables as possible to track down what is causing the problem.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Alice-Wang Friday, August 19, 2016 10:17 AM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:58 PM
  • Hi Thomeee,

Agree with others, please make sure your network is stable and test again.

As a supplement, you said one of your user had the issue, so please try to delete SFB client cache files

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\sip_UserName@Domain.com

For the Lync server side, please also make sure it is fully patched.

Best regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Alice Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

I do not think it would be a network issue, because other users are using the Lync/Skype from the same subnet (next to the effected user) without any problems. :/

If I'm clicking to the details, nothing more can be found:

Of course, we have already tried to remove the SIP profile of the user and the Skype server has the latest CU as well.

Do you have idea what kind of tool could be helpful for us runing on the client's PC to identify the cause of the problem?

Thursday, August 11, 2016 7:25 AM
  • I'm not sure of any tools, wouldn't hurt to have a ping write to a text file somewhere but if the issue is AV/Firewall/Endpoint Protection software inspecting traffic that may not show anything.  How often does the issue occur?  If it's very regular, and you'd know within an hour if it was fixed, I'd suggest attempting to run the Lync within Safe Mode and keeping other apps and drivers from being used to see if the problem resolved.  Longer and I typically just ask for a clean workstation rebuild, but that's not always easy depending on how customized his needs are.  Sometimes these are buried and it takes forever to find the offending issue.   

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:33 PM
  • As you mentioned this is only one machine, I would prefer netmon.

But if there are more users, then I would suggest for clslogging or ocslogger.

run a netmon trace and filter with FE or pool ip. I think, it has very less chances to figure out.

As Anthony suggested, the easiest way to use ping. but that also wont shows if any drops on the firewall.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 4:58 PM