none
Group enhancement list into a new project on a quarterly bases RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, All:

I have a scenario here, hope someone can point me to right direction.

We are planning to implement Project Server 2010, I have using this (SharePoint Lifecycle Management Solution with Project Server 2010) example as the initial template for creating some enterprise project type, which works out great.

Then I got a requirement from the Application Support team, which they do projects a bit differently than most the capital project (business driver, selection, execution, close).

They usually starts with a list of enhancement request, each has been given a rough estimate of effort. So on a quarterly bases, these enhancements will be grouped by certain criteria (doesn’t have to be automated) then processed forward as a project, afterwards the project carried out as other capital projects.

The enhancement request is SharePoint list with couple of fields, it can be moved into PWA.

So my initial thoughts were to map these enhancement requests as the business drives, but after awhile, I am not sure what makes sense.

Anyone has done anything like this? Or have an great ideas how this can be carried out?

Much appreciated.

NH

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:22 PM

All replies

• Hi NH

To me it seems like a typical business process mapping scenario, so it would be a good idea to get with partners who have extensive experience in mapping business process onto tool, Having said that, since you have asked would throw my view point though subjective and warrant discussion,  

In my view point even enhancements are essentially projects which involves effort & cost and should be tracked for execution through completion, and since you said you manage them in sharepoint ideation list which essentially means they are proposals which are not selected yet (not sure what thought process you had when you tried to link it as drivers) and finally once you decide these should go through selection process(Portfolio optimization) you bring them into Project Server to go through the selection process (portfolio optimization) as a regular project would go 

What i am missing here is how drivers are organized and how your organization treats these enhancement proposals against organizational strategy, how are they evaluated or how these enhancement proposals correlate with your organizational strategy, typically i have seen enhancements being treated same as capital proposals and go through the same portfolio optimization process but with lower priority ranking (again ranking is subjective) as sustain projects

Let us know if this makes sense and we can keep this discussion going on and try to help you out in mapping this process

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:24 AM
  • Thanks, Sunil

One thing you asked is defintely key here, "how your organization treats these enhancement proposals against organizational strategy, how are they evaluated or how these enhancement proposals correlate with your organizational strategy".

Normal capital project does go through an IT budget process for the "selection" process, enhancement, on the other hand,  has been given a bucket of budget, sort of it has passed selection (with budget), but to define the scope of the enhancement comes in at later phase.

It is upto the Application Support manager to decide which enhacements should go first and when. And Application Support has its own team and their major priority is making sure the supported application runs, then comes to enhancement when they have cycles.

This is just an idea forging phase for me, as we might decide eventually go to Project Server Vendor for help.

Thanks,

NH

Monday, February 4, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Hi NH

Sorry for a delayed response, Since you mentioned there is a bucket for enhancement project and it is decided by the Application support manager, perhaps you can have a separate portfolio optimization just for enhancements and since App manager knows the priority he can then rank the priority manually for these projects also could be a simple force in & commited as and when its decide to be executed,  which will help you as part of your taking these enhancement process through the workflow

One option that i can think of on the fly could be, just bear with me throwing ideas :)

you can create just 1 project called enhancement and assign the total budget for enhancement to it and then use this project in organizational portfolio optimization and either give it a high priority rank OR force it in so that it becomes part of the budget while doing the organizational optimization and later on use this project as master project & use sub projects which forms part of master project for individual apps support and then this master project would serve to one business driver for example sustain applications or something,  all sub project budget rolls up to this master project budget which is essentially the total App support budget

there could be other ways which i can think of, but let me think it through first & then i will suggest that if appropriate

Let us know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:15 PM
  • What are you trying to do, move the list items as tasks in a project that you create each quarter, or are you trying to create a separate project from each of the list items?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:10 PM