Best method for making site collection content db read only RRS feed

• Question

• We have a large site collection for a department that is housed in its own content db.  The content is being migrated to a different solution for this department and the request is that for the time being the content be accessible read only.  It has been suggested that we should make the content db read only with-in sql rather than just resetting all users permissions to Read instead of read/write.

Is one method better than the other?  If we change the sql db settings to read only, will there be any potential fallout with errors from various services that may attempt to write to the db.  I found one article on Microsoft Technet that discussed making a farm read only and disabling all timer jobs, however, this is only one content db within the farm, so disabling timer services is not an option.

Any feedback is appreciated.

NLewis
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:55 PM

Answers

• The best way to do this would be to set the site collection as read only. This can be done from SharePoint central admin. You need not reset user permissions.

In central admin, go to site quotas and locks and you should be able to set it to read only from there.

• Marked as answer by Nlewis Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:10 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:03 PM

All replies

• The best way to do this would be to set the site collection as read only. This can be done from SharePoint central admin. You need not reset user permissions.

In central admin, go to site quotas and locks and you should be able to set it to read only from there.

• Marked as answer by Nlewis Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:10 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Awesome, thanks! I was pretty sure there was a way to do it through central admin, but wasn't finding it quickly and decided I was confusing 2010 with 2007!
    NLewis
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:11 PM
  • > and decided I was confusing 2010 with 2007!

Which makes me need to know if you were asking about SP 2010 or about SP 2007 ?

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Friday, March 18, 2011 7:07 AM