Vista Premuium: Unaccouted for HD space. RRS feed

• Question

•  

First, Yes I do know about shadowstorage and hidden files are enabled.

My C Drive says that 28.7 GB is used. (59.6 GB free) But when I select all in that drive it says 15.1 GB is used. I check shadowstorage and "Used shadowstorage space" is 12.734 GB. (Allocated space is 13.249, Max is 13.26) Using the "Used space" of 12.734, + 15.1 = 27.8 GB. Wheres my 900MB?

Now, this drive's available space changing throughout the day, going up and down usually between 60 GB and 61.5 GB but never dipped below 60 till last night, 59.7... now this morning its down to 59.6.

So, with Hidden Files shown and shadowstorage accounted for.. why is there nearly 1 GB of unaccounted for space?

I fear my drive is being eaten or something and eventually it will steal all my space. I also have no spyware or viruses.. checked that.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 5:35 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

The disk space allocation of an NTFS volume may appear to be misreported for any of the following reasons:

1.    The NTFS volume's cluster size is too large for the average-sized files that are stored there. 

2.    File attributes or NTFS permissions prevent Windows Explorer or a Windows command prompt from displaying or accessing files or folders.

3.    The folder path exceeds 255 characters.

4.    Folders or files contain invalid or reserved file names.

5.    NTFS metafiles (such as the Master File Table) have grown, and you cannot de-allocate them. 

6.    Files or folders contain alternate data streams. 

7.    NTFS corruption causes free space to be reported as in use. 

8.    Other NTFS features may cause file-allocation confusion. 

9.    The continuous space changing may caused by applications that release temporary files or virtual memory.

Generally, the space that appears to loss won’t increase rapidly. You may use the following tools to limit the size:

·         Disk Cleanup

·         Disk Defragmenter

For more information about NTFS hard drive space misreport, please refer to:

(KB814594) How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;814594

To know more about NTFS, please refer to:

How NTFS works

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/8cc5891d-bf8e-4164-862d-dac5418c59481033.mspx?mfr=true

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 3, 2007 10:29 AM

All replies

•  

Well, I just got 500MB  back since my shadowstorage space went down, but there is still the same amount of space unaccounted for.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your post!

The disk space allocation of an NTFS volume may appear to be misreported for any of the following reasons:

1.    The NTFS volume's cluster size is too large for the average-sized files that are stored there. 

2.    File attributes or NTFS permissions prevent Windows Explorer or a Windows command prompt from displaying or accessing files or folders.

3.    The folder path exceeds 255 characters.

4.    Folders or files contain invalid or reserved file names.

5.    NTFS metafiles (such as the Master File Table) have grown, and you cannot de-allocate them. 

6.    Files or folders contain alternate data streams. 

7.    NTFS corruption causes free space to be reported as in use. 

8.    Other NTFS features may cause file-allocation confusion. 

9.    The continuous space changing may caused by applications that release temporary files or virtual memory.

Generally, the space that appears to loss won’t increase rapidly. You may use the following tools to limit the size:

·         Disk Cleanup

·         Disk Defragmenter

For more information about NTFS hard drive space misreport, please refer to:

(KB814594) How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;814594

To know more about NTFS, please refer to:

How NTFS works

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/8cc5891d-bf8e-4164-862d-dac5418c59481033.mspx?mfr=true

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 3, 2007 10:29 AM