Printer Driver installation on Vista and UAC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I had developed a printer driver for XP few years back. I did some changes and managed to install the printer driver on Vista. If I am logged in as standard user, It works fine with UAC disabled (OFF) but when I enable (turn on) the UAC, I am facing few issues -

- When I try to open the Printer Properties, it takes so long (5 min) to open it. Sometimes even it fails to open. No warning/error message displayed.

- When I try to print from any application It just hangs. Again no message by Windows.

If I install the printer driver after logging in as Administrator (and not as any user of administrator group), I am able to see the printer properties window and also able to print from any application.

I have read lots of articles on UAC and administrator privileges and as far as I have understood from those article is that, a user of administrative group can install the Printer Driver with elevated permission as and when needed. If the user is able to install the printer driver, he should also be able to give prints. But in my case, I am able to install the printer driver with a user login (of administrator group) but facing some issues while opening the properties window and during print operation. As I stated in the begining that when I open the Properties window, it takes too long to open it and sometimes it fails to open. And when I try to print something it hangs. Does it mean that there are some issues with my code or some security setting needs to be done to solve this issue.

The OS Version that I am using is Windows Vista Business RTM.

Please provide some hints.

Thanks,
    Nitin

Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:20 AM

Answers