none
Cannot enable Power Query in Excel 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been trying to use Power Query on Excel 2016 (64bit). However, as soon as I try to create a new query, Excel crashes.

After a bit of looking around I can mention the following elements:

- Power Query does not appear in the "COM Add-ins" section, I can therefore not enable it there.

- I tried to install it manually (version 2.51.4885.721), but it stops me, saying that it is already included in excel 2016.

- I have tried to uninstall it, but it does not appear in the list in "Uninstall or change a program".

- I have also tried to unistall it using the installer itself, but I get a message : "This action is only valid for products that are installed".

- I have reinstalled Office, as well a repaired it, to no avail.

- sfc /scannow did not solve the issue

Any idea of what the issue might be?

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In Office 2016, PowerQuery is named New Query under Data Tab as a hard build in feature.

So there is no PowerQuery option in Com add-in list.

Please go to Data- New Query and check if the feature is existed.

Any updates please let me know and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 6:23 AM
  • Dear Emi,

Thank you for your answer, I do indeed have the "New Query" button under the "Data" tab. However (and this is why I tried the steps mentioned above) as soon as I try to create one, Excel crashes.

The Event Viewer tells me: ".NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.8766 - CLR: Fatal Execution Engine Error (00007FF9F689104E) (80131506)" in relation to that crash.

Is there something I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:15 AM
  • Hi,

Please go to Control Panel- Programs and Features and repair Microsoft .NET Framework, if it still not work for you. Try to uninstall it and install the latest version of .Net Framework.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:24 AM
  • Dear Emi,

Following your suggestion, I have uninstalled all the .Net versions I had (4.5 and 4.6) and reinstalled the 4.7. Now Excel still crashes, but I have a new message in the event viewer:

"Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.4627.1001, time stamp: 0x5a1d4752
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1715, time stamp: 0x59b0d03e
    Exception code: 0xc0000005"

Best,

Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:06 AM
  • After upgrading to the latest version (4.7.1), the error message is back to ".NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.8766 - CLR: Fatal Execution Engine Error (00007FF89175104E) (80131506)"
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:40 AM
  • Exception code: 0xc0000005, this is a very broad error. The error can be cause by different factors related to installed program or installed hardware.

Do you try to open in safe mode? As New Query is a part of Excel, you can run it in safe mode please try it.

If it works check if there is any add-ins was loaded, try to disable them.

How do you uninstall Office and reinstall it? Do you use the Fix it Tool to uninstall completely?

If not, please refer to this article and try the option 2:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Office-from-a-PC-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:52 AM
  • Dear Emi,

Following your suggestions, I have tried to do it in safe mode, still doesn't work.

Since my previous uninstalls were only done using the "Programs and features" uninstall option, I just did a clean install using your link, re-installed Office 2016, but still no change, Excel crashes the moment I click to create a New Query.

• Edited by Artnalaol Thursday, December 21, 2017 12:09 PM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:28 AM
  • I can only suggest you perform a clean boot to eliminate software conflicts that occur and check the result.

About perform a clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If this still not work for you, you need more professional help. You need professional to help you analysis dump.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Thursday, December 28, 2017 6:38 AM