Settings in Administrator Profile Return to Default After Restarting Master RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have question about the behavior of the Administrator profile when rebooting after sysprep.

I set "Smooth edges of screen fonts" to unchecked and changed our default TIF viewer to MODI instead of Windows photo viewer in our master. I captured the image with an MDT Sysprep and Capture TS and deployed. The two settings were as above. I had to make unrelated changes to the image so I turned the master (VM) back on, made the changes and recaptured and deployed. The two setting mentioned above were back to default, Windows Photo Veiwer for TIFs and "Smooth edges of screen fonts" was checked. It seems that these two settings, at least, have to be reset before each capture.

(We have SkipRearm set to 1).

Is this the correct behavior of the Administrator profile after sysprep/capture? I can't find a KB, etc. that describes this.

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 12:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The Administrator Profile gets deleted as part of Sysprep. You can enable the CopyProfile setting to have the Default User Profile inherit the Administrator profile configuration so all users that log on after deployment (including the Local Administrator) get this as their base profile.... however it depends if you want ALL users to get those settings or not.

Thanks,

Adam

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 2:28 PM
  • We have CopyProfile set to true. The problem is in the master, not it he machines we deploy the image to. When the master is booted back up, the settings mentioned above are set back to default.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:08 PM
  • It sounds like there is no issue here.  Am I mistaken?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:26 PM
  • Apologies, I read your post and didn't get the whole context. I understand what you're saying now, on first Sysprep, the settings are retained, on second sysprep the settings are lost.

I never recapture/re-sysprep a master image so have never come across this issue. I tend to have a master TS which I redeploy each time I capture a new golden image from the original media.

I'll see if I can reproduce the issue. What OS are you deploying?

Thanks,

Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:11 AM
  • Not a problem. The OS is Windows 7 32 bit Enterprise. We have made many changes to the master so we have had to recapture. I think most people avoid doing it but that's where I am.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:47 PM
  • Would it be possible or practical for you to use the method I described over here? https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/52aebe59-80c9-4aac-8911-5f737e848111/unattendxml-settings-contained-within-a-revised-image?forum=mdt

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Friday, April 17, 2015 5:10 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 9:34 PM
  • I'll give it try and let you know.

Thanks.

Friday, April 17, 2015 2:25 PM