Delay in opening and closing Word files RRS feed

• Question

• I now have Office 2010 suite and I am having problems opening/closing existing .doc Word files/documents in that it takes a long time to open/close these files/documents (very often when closing these files the “not responding” message shows for a while until the file eventually closes), I do not have the same problems with the other Office programs.

I am employed by a US Corporation and as I am based overseas I work from my hard drive rather than from the Company server as I do not always have an internet connection to allow me to connect to our US server via VPN, then once every few weeks I connect to our sever (via VPN) to synchronize my hard drive files with those files on our server.

The problem I have started about two months ago after a visit to our US offices when I was directly connected to our server, then I had Office 2007 installed, however the problems continued even after I left the USA and up-graded to Office 2010.

After I left the USA when these problems started I went to the Options part of the Word program and under the Save section I changed the “save checked out files” from the format \\company name.com\home\company\state\my name\My Documents\etc etc.doc it to read as the format “C:\users\my name\Documents\SharePoint Drafts\”

However the existing files that I am having problems with after opening and closing or opening, modifying and then closing are still saving in the format \\company name.com\home\company\state\my name\My Documents\etc etc.doc. and not in the format “C:\users\my name\Documents\SharePoint Drafts\”

When I start a new file word file then it saves in the format “C:\users\my name\Documents\SharePoint Drafts\” and I do not experience any problems opening/closing these files. Also if I open an existing .doc file and then save it as a .rtf file then I have no problems again opening/closing this file.

It should be noted that a lot of my Excel files also after opening and closing or opening, modifying and then closing are still saving in the format \\company name.com\home\company\state\my name\My Documents\etc etc.doc. and not in the format “C:\users\my name\Documents\SharePoint Drafts\”however there is no delay or problems in opening/saving/closing these Excel files.

\\uholdingsllc.com\home\ue\ok\clomax\My Documents\............... folder.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:41 AM

Answers

• This kind of thing often happens when the templates Word is looking for are located on a server that is not connected. A simple solution is to update the document's template, to one that is located on your local hard drive. To do this, open the document, then go to Developer>Document Template>Attach and select a suitable, local, template.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:12 AM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:51 PM

All replies

• This kind of thing often happens when the templates Word is looking for are located on a server that is not connected. A simple solution is to update the document's template, to one that is located on your local hard drive. To do this, open the document, then go to Developer>Document Template>Attach and select a suitable, local, template.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:12 AM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:51 PM
  • check this link this may help you out

http://forum.soft32.com/mac/Delay-opening-Documents-ftopict88306.html

Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:21 PM