none
Can a user "send as" and/or "send on behalf of" a distribution group?

Question

• One of our users is the primary "referee" of a distro group that external senders often write to requesting help with their projects, e.g. help@customerdomain.com.  Is there a way for us to allow this user to respond to these external senders either as or on behalf of the distro group?  In words, it would be great if when someone writes to help@customerdomain.com, they could receive a reply from help@customerdomain.com.

I assume the answer to this question is "no", because a distro group isn't a mailbox so delegation features may not exist, but I thought I'd better check...if there is a way, a link to a KB article explaining how to do this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks all!

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:17 PM

Answers

• Hi SteveLewis2 

yes you can send as a distrubtion group by either setting the permission on the AD object or running a powershell command. 

below is for send as 

Get-DistributionGroup "Group" | Add-ADPermission -User "User" -ExtendedRights "Send As"

below is for send on behalf 

Set-DistributionGroup -Identity "Group" -GrantSendOnBehalfTo "User"

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:34 PM
  • You can do this in Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC). Start up ADUC and enable "Advanced Features" (View > Advanced Features). Then double click on the target group and go to the security tab. Click "Add..." and add the target user you'd like to be able to send as the group. Once the user is added, scroll down in the "Permissions" window until you find the "Send as" permission. Check it. Apply it. OK it. All done.

Hope this helps

• Marked as answer by SteveLewis2 Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:59 PM
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:58 PM

All replies

• Hi SteveLewis2 

yes you can send as a distrubtion group by either setting the permission on the AD object or running a powershell command. 

below is for send as 

Get-DistributionGroup "Group" | Add-ADPermission -User "User" -ExtendedRights "Send As"

below is for send on behalf 

Set-DistributionGroup -Identity "Group" -GrantSendOnBehalfTo "User"

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:34 PM
  • You probably want Send As because it looks like it came from the group, instead of from the sender on behalf of the group.  I recommend not configuring both.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:39 PM
  • You can do this in Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC). Start up ADUC and enable "Advanced Features" (View > Advanced Features). Then double click on the target group and go to the security tab. Click "Add..." and add the target user you'd like to be able to send as the group. Once the user is added, scroll down in the "Permissions" window until you find the "Send as" permission. Check it. Apply it. OK it. All done.

Hope this helps

• Marked as answer by SteveLewis2 Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:59 PM
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:58 PM
  • Thanks, everyone!  This worked perfectly.  Good call on your second suggestion, Ed--definitely reduces confusion if we use "send as" instead of "send on behalf of".  We'll be sure to use that.
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:01 PM