How do I count a list column value and display the total in another list? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm sitting with the following conundrum in MOSS 2007;

• I have 3 lists, lets call them Project Overview, Project A tasks and Project A tasks.
    • they are all custom lists where Project Overview only consist of two list items representing Project A and Project B (The Project Overview list serves as summary of all the projects with their various attributes, such as deadline description etc)
    • The Project A tasks and Project B task custom lists are similar in design used to capture tasks items for each project. Each project list utilizes a simple task workflow, therefore I can determine when a Project List item is still open based on the workflow status.

Problem statememt:

How do I display the amount of open list items for each project in the Project Overview list in a column called 'Open Tasks'?

I know I'll be able to determine if a item is still open for a project list item based on a workflow status, but how will I go about calculating all the open items (adding them up) for a list and displaying it as a number value in the Project Overview list for each project?

I was thinking of creating an extra column in the Project Task lists and assign a 1 for In progress items and 0 for completed or Not started Items. However, How do I add all the 1s and display it in another list? Might this be possible with a workflow?

I'm not a developer so applying any custom developer solutions might be a problem.

Thanks in advance  

Friday, February 18, 2011 4:02 PM

Answers

All replies