none
Translation not saved? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking into translating some wiki pages from English to Dutch. Reading the various articles i do have some questions. Hope you can help me out here.

• If i wanted to translate an article from scratch would i have to post my own article and in that article translate the original wiki page? Using the formatting used on the original post and reverting back to that post. Adding the translated link to the original post at the bottom. How do you embed the videos shown in the original post?
    • I started with some translating using the translation widget. Works great but it doesn't seem to save my translations. That's not really motivating if you have done some extensive translating...
    • Of course i'd like to see my efforts to show up on my profile :-) so what would be the best way to go about translating the various articles.

Don't get me wrong, i've read every article about translating wiki pages i just need that extra push to get started and make sure that my translation gets out there and not disappear in some black hole. 

Maurice

Monday, December 22, 2014 11:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I am looking into translating some wiki pages from English to Dutch. Reading the various articles i do have some questions. Hope you can help me out here.

• If i wanted to translate an article from scratch would i have to post my own article and in that article translate the original wiki page? Using the formatting used on the original post and reverting back to that post. Adding the translated link to the original post at the bottom. How do you embed the videos shown in the original post?
    • I started with some translating using the translation widget. Works great but it doesn't seem to save my translations. That's not really motivating if you have done some extensive translating...
    • Of course i'd like to see my efforts to show up on my profile :-) so what would be the best way to go about translating the various articles.

Don't get me wrong, i've read every article about translating wiki pages i just need that extra push to get started and make sure that my translation gets out there and not disappear in some black hole. 

Maurice

If i wanted to translate an article from scratch would i have to post my own article and in that article translate the original wiki page?

Yes. I'd run a Machine Translation on the article, paste that into a new article, and then edit it in your own language.

Adding the translated link to the original post at the bottom. 

Yes. These articles actually have all the details:

Wiki: How to Translate Wiki Articles

Wiki: Non-English Language Title guidelines

Wiki: How to Translate Your First Article

Wiki: Non-English Language Content Guidelines

Wiki: Translation Tags

I started with some translating using the translation widget. Works great but it doesn't seem to save my translations. That's not really motivating if you have done some extensive translating...

The widget sends your translations to an admin who then approves your changes. It feeds back into the Bing Translator system. We recommend that you use that widget or Bing Translator to translate the content and then paste it into a new article on TNWiki. That way you get credit for your translation, it's easier to find, etc.

Of course i'd like to see my efforts to show up on my profile :-) so what would be the best way to go about translating the various articles.

Yes, that's the way to do it. New article. If you follow the steps in the articles above, you'll link back to the original article, which also links to your article. So users can easily move between the available languages.

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 1:30 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi,

Maurice

If i wanted to translate an article from scratch would i have to post my own article and in that article translate the original wiki page?

Yes. I'd run a Machine Translation on the article, paste that into a new article, and then edit it in your own language.

Adding the translated link to the original post at the bottom. 

Yes. These articles actually have all the details:

Wiki: How to Translate Wiki Articles

Wiki: Non-English Language Title guidelines

Wiki: How to Translate Your First Article

Wiki: Non-English Language Content Guidelines

Wiki: Translation Tags

I started with some translating using the translation widget. Works great but it doesn't seem to save my translations. That's not really motivating if you have done some extensive translating...

The widget sends your translations to an admin who then approves your changes. It feeds back into the Bing Translator system. We recommend that you use that widget or Bing Translator to translate the content and then paste it into a new article on TNWiki. That way you get credit for your translation, it's easier to find, etc.

Of course i'd like to see my efforts to show up on my profile :-) so what would be the best way to go about translating the various articles.

Yes, that's the way to do it. New article. If you follow the steps in the articles above, you'll link back to the original article, which also links to your article. So users can easily move between the available languages.

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 1:30 AM
    Owner
  • Thank you Ed for clarifying this. I will give it a shot.

Maurice

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 11:43 PM