Forefront icon missing in notification area (icon tray) RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Microsoft Forefront Client Security for about a month now.  Everything worked fine until 5-7 days ago.  Around then, the green Forefront icon didn't show up on the icon tray one night (turned on computer in the evening and the icon wasn't there.)
    The next morning, the icon was there.  However, that same night, it disappeared again.

I thought it was something temporary, but now the icon is just not there all the time, be it day or night.

I tried to call up MS Forefront Client Security, and it seems to be working and up to date.  The problem is that its icon is missing in the icon tray.  I don't know whether this is just a little bug I can simply ignore or a big problem, but it doesn't feel very safe without the lovely green icon.  How can I fix this problem?

I'm attaching a screenshot.  Please notice that the program is (appearing to be) running but doesn't show up on icon tray.
    http://www.geocities.com/tiple_force/icon_tray.JPG  <-- screenshot
    (If problem isn't solved by Oct. 26, I'll try to find another image hosting site.)

Thank you very much.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:17 AM

Answers

• looking at your screen shot it appears that you have system tray icons to hide if not used frequently.  My guess is that FCS is there however the system tray icon is hidden.  if you click that > button down there do you see it?
    CSS Security Support Engineer (FCS/MBSA/WUA/Incident Response) Check out my blog http://blogs.technet.com/kfalde
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Before going any further, I’d like to confirm the following:

1.Do you use the trial version or RTM version?

2.Do you deploy FCS client with policy or manually installation?

3.If you click “scan”, you should see the FCS icon in the system tray change to a gray box with a spinning circle on it. This indicate a quick scan is occurring. Does this occur for you when you run it?

Currently, there is no way to remove the icon via an FCS setting. You can remove access to the icon, but not remove it from the system tray, via the FCS policy setting on the Advanced tab. Choose the option “Users can only view system tray icon and status messages”. I am sure you already knew this, but wanted to confirm. We can remove the icon entirely, but it is a Windows policy and it will remove all system tray icons. Here is the policy location :

-User Config\Admin Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Hide the Notification Area

Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Friday, October 30, 2009 2:57 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Thanks for the fast response, Nick Gu :)

I'm sorry to say that I'm quite a noob at computer stuff, so I don't have a clear idea about everything you just asked.  However, here's some info to hopefully clarify it:

Mine is a personal computer just for me, a laptop, actually.  It's a Dell Inspiron 6400.

(1)  I'm not sure about FCS version, but I downloaded it for free.  I'm a student, and my university recommended FCS.  I assume there's some kind of contract between MS and the university.  Anyway, here's the explanation for the download link from my university:

---

Microsoft Forefront Client Security 1.5.1972.0

(Size: 24.38 MB; Updated: June 29, 2009)

Virus Checker - UNINSTALL EXISTING ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE BEFORE RUNNING THIS PROGRAM. Follow instructions for unistalling and correct setup at Uninstalling Symantec and installing Forefront Client Security on personal or unmanaged computers.

Please note: Forefront is not compatible with Windows XP Media Center Edition.

---

After downloading and opening it, the setup says "This wizard will install Microsoft Forefront Client Security 1.5.1972.0."

(2)  It's a manual installation, but I got the software from my university as stated above.  After the installation, it ran updates and all other things normally.

(3)  If I click "scan," I can see the gray box with spinning circle on it.  I see it IF the FCS icon is in the icon tray.
    When the icon isn't in the tray, the scan works, too, but I just don't see the gray box with spinning circle icon anywhere.

After I installed FCS last month, it worked just fine.
    In the FCS "Options," since the very beginning, I chose to have when to have program icon in the notification area to "always."
    I didn't change any other setting.  But the icon just disappeared on its own a few days ago.
    I also didn't make any change to hide the notification area.

And guess what?...  It has come back today...  FCS then automatically ran a quick scan on my computer.
    The green icon is now back, and I hope it stays there for good!
    If it will disappear again, I'll report in here.

Anyway, what's the cause of this disappearance?

I hope that the info I provided will be somewhat useful.  Please don't hesitate to request additional info if needed, since I'm just clueless.

Thanks again!
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:20 PM
  • looking at your screen shot it appears that you have system tray icons to hide if not used frequently.  My guess is that FCS is there however the system tray icon is hidden.  if you click that > button down there do you see it?
    CSS Security Support Engineer (FCS/MBSA/WUA/Incident Response) Check out my blog http://blogs.technet.com/kfalde
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:31 PM