none
Loss of images in IE 7 - it WAS working before certain updates RRS feed

• Question

• The boss called me to let me know that she has a red x where images should be in IE 7 (Vista SP2, 64 bit).

It was OK before.

Before what?

Before installation of:

- latest Windows updates (manual)
    - Java 6 update 26 (via GPO)
    - Flash 10.3.x (via GPO)

This has happened once before and I hope I can fix it the same way I did before (System Restore).

Does anyone know why Flash or Java would be doing this? Assuming it is Flash or Java...

It does not affect other computers (no one else has mentioned anything).

EDIT - not 100% sure if it is just her profile or everyones, from the time it happened before.

I cannot access her computer right now to verify either.

Now, I have been googling around and found this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915158

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins\Extension
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins\MIME

---------------------------------------

But in the places indicated, I have no subkeys to delete. Those keys are empty (Extensions and MIME).

Yes, I see it's for XP, but that's what came up.

Other suggestions do not apply. She would not go into IE settings (not know where to go) and start unchecking settings.

I obviously have to find a solution.

Why is this happening???

Monday, July 18, 2011 9:01 PM

All replies

• The boss called me to let me know that she has a red x where images should be in IE 7 (Vista SP2, 64 bit).

Why is this happening???

Are you sure it's not a coincidence?  E.g. what does IE8 or IE9 show?   At least with those you could use their  Developer Tools  Image Report   and  Find tool   to try to get some insight  about what you were seeing.   I can't remember exactly what diagnostics IE7 has, I think it might be the old IE Developer Tools add-on from IE6 and can't remember if it has an Image Report in it.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Hello Robert,

I followed a troubleshooting guide with the basic stuff (empty temp folder, see if settings are unchecked) and even reset IE.

Nothing. Still same old problem.

I had a 1-2 hour window to resolve this while the boss was in a meeting.

So I estimated that I would not have to experiment with IE8 or IE9 (would have liked too).

And how did I resolve the problem?

System Restore.

Went back in time, before I installed certain udpates (Windows, Flash, Java), and rebooted.

All was well.

Well, not quite.

Had to re-install Windows updates and repair the AV. 

EDIT- I have NOT reinstalled the Java and Flash updates. There will probably be a laptop swap in the near future and I can redo the laptop from scratch at that time. Would have like to discover the actual cause of the problem, but I cannot spend an entire day on that.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:59 PM