RDS/Terminal Services Query RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

I've got a few questions I'm hoping you might be able to help me with.
    Each of our multiple branches (on a single domain WAN) have been running Terminal Services on Server 2003. All of our other branches currently have at least one Server 2008 box - except my branch - and we're looking to move to Remote Desktop Services. Up to this point, we've had one Terminal Services license server that all of our branches terminal servers query. 
    For the sake of redundancy, I've been told that our clearing house/license provider would be able to split our license pack and we would be able to host multiple license servers on our domain so as to avoid any issues if our current single license server goes down for any reason.

* Are there any additional costs involved in hosting multiple license servers on our domain, or is it just the user CALs that we pay for?

* Would we have to allocate a set number of CALs per license server within our company, or is it possible to "spread" all of our existing CALs across all of our license servers?

I've also been told that RDS CALs are backwards compatible, can anybody confirm this? So, If I host my own Terminal Services license server on our current Server 2003 terminal server (that's quite a tongue twister...), can I used RDS CALs to service our terminal users? Or will I have to stick with my current TS CALs and just host my own TS license server?

Hope to hear from you!

Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, the Windows Terminal server 2008 CALs still work well with Windows Terminal server 2003 users. If the number of users connecting to through Windows 2003 TS are fixed and equal to the existing CAL count then you can buy Windows 2008 TS CALs for the rest of the users. And if the number of users connecting to any TS are not fixed, then there is no harm in getting the CALs upgraded to Windows server 2008.

Also, for the migration of Terminal licensing server from one machine to other, these post will help you.

Migrating your Terminal Server License Server from Windows Server 2003 to 2008

http://blogs.technet.com/b/anthoben/archive/2010/05/13/migrating-your-terminal-server-license-server-from-windows-server-2003-to-2008.aspx

For the RD licensing server sake of redundancy, if your concern is that the time your license server is down, your client is not denied of connection, then you can have a license server on which you don't have any CALs installed and point your TS to that new license server for the time being. Your clients will keep on getting the temp CALs till the time your new license server is inside grace period. In that time frame, you can recover your old license server.

If your concern is to have a backup server for the existing one, then you can't have one until your main license server is running. But you have the option of migrating the CAL Packs from one server to other (even if your Source Server is dead).
    For that you should have the license server ID of the Source license server and all the paper work related to the license key packs. Once you have that, you can easily recover your dead license server also.

The steps you need to follow for migration of your CAL packs are:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/archive/2009/03/06/migrating-a-windows-server-2003-license-server.aspx

Technology changes life……
    Friday, November 11, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, the Windows Terminal server 2008 CALs still work well with Windows Terminal server 2003 users. If the number of users connecting to through Windows 2003 TS are fixed and equal to the existing CAL count then you can buy Windows 2008 TS CALs for the rest of the users. And if the number of users connecting to any TS are not fixed, then there is no harm in getting the CALs upgraded to Windows server 2008.

Also, for the migration of Terminal licensing server from one machine to other, these post will help you.

Migrating your Terminal Server License Server from Windows Server 2003 to 2008

http://blogs.technet.com/b/anthoben/archive/2010/05/13/migrating-your-terminal-server-license-server-from-windows-server-2003-to-2008.aspx

For the RD licensing server sake of redundancy, if your concern is that the time your license server is down, your client is not denied of connection, then you can have a license server on which you don't have any CALs installed and point your TS to that new license server for the time being. Your clients will keep on getting the temp CALs till the time your new license server is inside grace period. In that time frame, you can recover your old license server.

If your concern is to have a backup server for the existing one, then you can't have one until your main license server is running. But you have the option of migrating the CAL Packs from one server to other (even if your Source Server is dead).
    For that you should have the license server ID of the Source license server and all the paper work related to the license key packs. Once you have that, you can easily recover your dead license server also.

The steps you need to follow for migration of your CAL packs are:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/rds/archive/2009/03/06/migrating-a-windows-server-2003-license-server.aspx

Technology changes life……

Thanks for your response!

It seems my situation may have changed a little. All of my servers (at my branch) are still under warranty and we won't be looking at putting any 2008 machines in place for a little while. How would I go about making my current terminal server it's own independent TS license server?

TS licensing on my terminal server is currently configured as "per user" and so in theory it doesn't REALLY have a lot of interaction with the current single TS license server. But if I could set it up so that it acts as it's own license server, that would be ideal.

I really appreciate your help, this is the first time I've dealt with Terminal Services on this kind of level so I'm quite new to all this!

Friday, November 11, 2011 9:43 AM
  • ...anybody?
    Monday, November 14, 2011 1:15 PM