max concurrent connection limit on windows 10 / license servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys - hopefully someone can me help out on this one: 

As far as I know there is an upper limit to the maximum number of concurrent network connections allowed by windows 10 (pro in my case) of twenty. Now I understand this effectively requires you to run Windows Server for file serving etc. puposes if you want to go beyond this connection limit.

In our case, however, we pull all texture data, caches for rendering purposes etc. off a Linux server with no relevant maximum connection limit at rendertime. Only our license server run off a windows 10 pro machine, ie. for VRay, Autodesk etc. license queries ONLY.

Now, how does this relate to the above connection limit - is that techincally different from connections invoked by file transfers etc., or does windows 10 limit us to a maximum of twenty rendernodes querying licenses off the windows 10 computer?

If the latter is the case, ie. it is the same as file transfers - does the license querys count as one open connection per rendernode or could one node use up 2/3/4 connections for each license service, effectively limiting us to even less render nodes?

Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers,
    j

Monday, April 10, 2017 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It's still like previous versions, it is a limit of 20, and it is a limit (both technical and legal) on incoming TCP connections.  So anything, network shares, web, email... whatever you decide to host on the desktop is limited to only twenty open connections at a time. 

That's twenty connections.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:51 AM
  • That "answer" is utter rubbish. The EULA clearly states the limit is 20 *devices* NOT TCP connections, and it's only a limit on devices connected to "file services, print services, Internet information services, and Internet connection sharing and telephony services"

So the legal position, at least for the named services is very clear. What's not clear is how Windows 10's inbuilt technical limitations police those rights. There are reports that it is much more stringent with the limitation than the EULA, and counts multiple connections from the same device separately. The general advice I see, without much primary documentary evidence, is to halve the number of possible connections when planning a deployment.

It would be nice for Microsoft to provide a clear explanation of the technical limitations. In fact, I think it's customers deserve one. And if they are double counting devices, I think their customers deserve an explanation of why they're breaking their own legal agreement.

And even after we've sorted all that out, we need to deal with the blanket restriction on using the device as a server, and what data synchronisation might mean when you want to connect the unlimited devices the EULA allows you to for that.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 3:18 PM
  • I find all this strange, 

Even stranger is the attitude of Microsoft in it's EULA

I am trying to do a backup from 1 linux nas to another linux nas instigated from my Win10 workstation installation using xcopy.

The data in question is all company data for the last 10 years.

This includes backups from all machines currently in use and previously in use over that time.

There is a lot of data.

The target NAS has (useable) 50Tb of storage. and the source currently has less.

(I use the 421 policy as opposed to the 321 version when backing up data)

My network consists of gigabit cat6 ethernet with 6 actual users all win10 and around 40 network attached devices that are in use around the building.

We are not a large company.

My data transfer instigated from win10 is slow.

If I instigate it from either NAS, it is blindingly fast.

When I look at the bottleneck, it comes back to TCP connections.

So, how do I get around this limit?

It would be unreasonable to expect to have this data transfer take 4 days when it should take an order of magnitude or three less.

The problem here isn't the automated backups between the two local Nas's, it is when I instigate it from my workstation PC 

Any suggestions here?

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 12:00 AM
  • I too would like an answer here.

going from windows 7 to windows 10 seems to 1/3 to 1/2 the limit of connections and they are being counted as multiple connections per Device.

I would say that it used to work/ count correctly under Windows 7 based on my results.

20 devices is not a problem, 20 connections is a major limitation.

Have been through the official channels but no response from MS

Friday, August 24, 2018 2:37 AM