Windows update error 80070643 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows Vista on a Toshiba laptop. I keep getting a "Windows Can't Check For Updates" message. When I click on the message I'm taken to an update dialog that says it needs to install an update for the updater. When I click on "install" it goes off about it's business and then fails with error 80070643. I followed the instructions to try and resolve the error (restarting ose.exe) but I don't have ose.exe on my computer! The only Office product on it was a trial version which I removed. I'd really like to keep my Vista installation up to date but can't because of this problem. Please help!!!

More info: the entries in the "view update history" are all:

Windows Update software 7.0.6000.381   Failed   Important   [date]

Thanks in advance!
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:20 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Ross,

Thank you for the reply.

This issue can be related to the corrupt Office program. From the System Information, I noticed that Microsoft Office still appears on your Start Menu/All Programs.

Currently, I suggest removing the Office program in Control Panel\Programs and Features. If the Office program still cannot be completely removed, please consult the resolution in our Office public newsgroup. Thank you for your understanding.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/desktoppt/office.mspx

In addition, this issue can be usually caused by anti-virus programs or firewalls. Please temporarily remove all your anti-virus programs and firewalls such as COMODO and avast!.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally, this issue can be caused by third-party programs (especially firewalls) or corrupt Windows Update components.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue first.

Step 1 Register Windows Update component

============================

1. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

2. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Please enter the following command, and press enter.

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL

You will get a "DllRegisterServer in wuaueng.dll succeeded" window.

4. Then, please move on to enter the following commands one by one. A success notification will be received after each command.

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL

REGSVR32 ATL.DLL

REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL

REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL

Step 2 Rename Windows Update Temporary folders

=================================

1. Click Start, in Start Search item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv

net stop Cryptsvc

cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution

rd /s /q DataStore

ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start Cryptsvc

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.

4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, then choose Run as administrator.

5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Step 3 Clean Boot

============================

This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button, type "msconfig" in the search bar and press Enter.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System"

4. Test if we can update the system in Clean Boot.

Note 1: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Note 2: We can check on Normal Startup in the General tab to roll back to Normal Mode after we get this issue resolved.

If the issue persists, please send me the following information for further research.

Screenshot

========

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

WindowsUpdate.log

========

1. Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time, type: %windir% and press Enter.
    2. Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate.log".

Please be aware that there may be another file named "Windows Update.log". I am requesting the file without a space in the middle of the name.

System Information

========

The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button, type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter to start the System Information.
    2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save", type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click “Desktop” on the left pane, and click Save.

I have created a FTP site and you can upload the files to me from the following site:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=a0a6eeb3-3158-4368-a13a-8ade35f49579

Password: m{6FRViuxzIsz{

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, March 24, 2008 5:49 AM
  • Tim,

I followed the instructions you posted and was still unsuccessful in performing an update. I have uploaded the files that you requested. Please let me know what you find.

Thanks for your help!

Ross

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:40 PM
  •  

Hi Ross,

Thank you for the reply.

This issue can be related to the corrupt Office program. From the System Information, I noticed that Microsoft Office still appears on your Start Menu/All Programs.

Currently, I suggest removing the Office program in Control Panel\Programs and Features. If the Office program still cannot be completely removed, please consult the resolution in our Office public newsgroup. Thank you for your understanding.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/desktoppt/office.mspx

In addition, this issue can be usually caused by anti-virus programs or firewalls. Please temporarily remove all your anti-virus programs and firewalls such as COMODO and avast!.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:40 AM
  • Hello and thank you for trying helping us.
    I have the same error with upgrading KB963660.

I try to do what you told in this thread but same error :(

Below the screen error :
    http://camelot-web.com/update/WindowsUpdateError.gif

NFO :
    http://camelot-web.com/update/System_INFO.nfo

LOG :
    http://camelot-web.com/update/WindowsUpdate.log

For information, I just installed Windows 7 ... no other programs have been installed ... only Windows (no Office , ...) I do this install a few weeks ago without any problem ... I wanted to re install it to be clean, and this error appears :)

Thanks for your help ;)

Regards
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:05 PM
  • Hi Tim,

I'm encountering a similar error to the one listed above.  I would like to upload information to you for your review and advice.  Also, curious as to the cause of a possible Office corruption that seems to have been noted above.  I am trying to resolve this issue on a friend's new HP laptop - it's less than 2 months old. 

Thanks for the informative and exceptionally clear directions.

Glenn
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Paste this into notepad and save it as a .bat before running as an administrator:

cd\
    fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\
    echo "Resetting Attributes"
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

Echo "Registering Important Windows Files"
    REGSVR32 VBSCRIPT.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 SCRRUN.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 DISPEX.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 MSSCRIPT.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 SOFTPUB.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 WINTRUST.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 INITPKI.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 DSSENH.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 MSXML.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 MSXML2.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 RSAENH.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 GPKCSP.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 SCCBASE.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 SLBCSP.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 CRYPTDLG.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 MSSIP32.DLL /S
    sc config "trustedinstaller" start= auto
    sc config "bits" start= auto
    sc config "cryptsvc" start= auto
    sc config "W32Time" start= auto
    echo "Stopping Services"
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits
    Net Stop cryptsvc
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WUAUENG.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WUAUENG1.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WUAPI.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ATL.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WUCLTUI.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WUPS.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\IUENGINE.DLL /S
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WUWEB.DLL /S
    Reg delete HKLM\Components /v PendingXmldentifier
    Reg delete HKLM\Components /v NextQueueEntryIndex
    Reg delete HKLM\Components /v AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving
    Reg delete HKLM\COMPONENTS /v StoreDirty
    Reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /f
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer" /f
    Echo "Taking Ownership"
    takeown /f %systemroot%\winsxs\Temp /r
    takeown /f %systemroot%\winsxs\pending.xml
    takeown /f %systemroot%\winsxs\pending.grl
    takeown /f %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /r
    takeown /f %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /r 
    Echo "Giving Permissions to the necessary folders"
    cacls %systemroot%\winsxs\Temp /g "everyone":f /t
    cacls %systemroot%\winsxs\pending.xml /g everyone:f 
    cacls %systemroot%\winsxs\pending.grl /g everyone:f 
    cacls %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /g "everyone":f 
    cacls %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /g "everyone":f 

attrib -r -s -h "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" /s /d
    rd /s /q %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
    md %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files /s
    attrib +s +h "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" /s /d
    echo "Clearing corrupted windows updates history"
    del %systemroot%\winsxs\Temp /s /f /q
    rd /s /q %systemroot%\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames
    rd /s /q %systemroot%\winsxs\Temp\PendingDeletes
    del %systemroot%\winsxs\pending.xml
    del %systemroot%\winsxs\pending.grl
    rd /s /q %systemroot%\softwaredistribution
    Echo "Deleted Software Ditribution Sucessfully"
    rd /s /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2
    Echo "Deleted catroot2 Sucessfully"
    pause

Remember to confirm by keying Y with each request.

Thursday, September 3, 2015 5:38 PM