Problems running 16-bit programs in (32-bit) Windows 10TP

Question

• When I try to run (any) 16-bit program (that runs just fine under Windows XP and Windows 7) under W10TP Build 9860, I get the following error message:

"16-BIT MS-DOS SUBSYSTEM. Command prompt <program name>. NTVDM has encountered a system error. A device attached to the system is not functioning. Choose 'close' to terminate the application."

So, I tried setting compatibility mode (for all users) to "Windows XP SP3", and found that (some) of the programs would run, although CMD.EXE opens a separate window as though they were run with a "Start" command.

However, many of them will not run even with compatibility mode set. And, the error message window opens and closes so rapidly that it is impossible to see what the message is!

I tried setting compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2, 98 and 95 with no difference in the aforementioned behavior.

Then an even stranger anomaly occurred! I unchecked "compatibility mode" for one of the programs, and ran it so I could copy the above-listed error message verbatim. Then I rechecked "compatibility mode" (for all users). Now, when I run the program from the command prompt, it gives me the same error message as when CM is NOT checked, but if I run it from (right-click) Start > Run, or Windows-key +R, or by clicking on the program in Windows explorer, it does run!

I tried this with a second program, and obtained the same mysterious results!

So what is causing these events, and what is the solution? Why should unchecking and rechecking CM alter the behavior of the program when run from the command prompt?

An additional question: The 'compatibility mode' settings are stored in "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" /v <program name> /d WINXPSP3

When I set this value via Properties, it gives the entries a value of "~ WINXPSP3", but it appears that a value of "WINXPSP3" (set via Regedit or Reg.exe) has the same effect. What is the purpose of the "~"?

Thank you for your input.
    Friday, November 14, 2014 5:12 PM

All replies

• When I try to run (any) 16-bit program (that runs just fine under Windows XP and Windows 7) under W10TP Build 9860, I get the following error message:

"16-BIT MS-DOS SUBSYSTEM. Command prompt <program name>. NTVDM has encountered a system error. A device attached to the system is not functioning. Choose 'close' to terminate the application."

So, I tried setting compatibility mode (for all users) to "Windows XP SP3", and found that (some) of the programs would run, although CMD.EXE opens a separate window as though they were run with a "Start" command.

However, many of them will not run even with compatibility mode set. And, the error message window opens and closes so rapidly that it is impossible to see what the message is!

I tried setting compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2, 98 and 95 with no difference in the aforementioned behavior.

Then an even stranger anomaly occurred! I unchecked "compatibility mode" for one of the programs, and ran it so I could copy the above-listed error message verbatim. Then I rechecked "compatibility mode" (for all users). Now, when I run the program from the command prompt, it gives me the same error message as when CM is NOT checked, but if I run it from (right-click) Start > Run, or Windows-key +R, or by clicking on the program in Windows explorer, it does run!

I tried this with a second program, and obtained the same mysterious results!

So what is causing these events, and what is the solution? Why should unchecking and rechecking CM alter the behavior of the program when run from the command prompt?

An additional question: The 'compatibility mode' settings are stored in "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" /v <program name> /d WINXPSP3

When I set this value via Properties, it gives the entries a value of "~ WINXPSP3", but it appears that a value of "WINXPSP3" (set via Regedit or Reg.exe) has the same effect. What is the purpose of the "~"?

Thank you for your input.

Hi

i have the same issue and behavior with CM option

i am just wondering something. Did you installed it in a virtual machine?
    i did it with vmplayer and i see is there no video card installed in the system

i dont know if this issue can be connected by the presence and the configuration of virtual machine or is just a bug of the W10 preview version

the fact is that it happens also if you try to use the edit.com command present in the system

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 2:49 PM
  • in advance, I apologise you what I will write is the answer you want. 

I recomend you to try virtual machine. Virtual Win.XP in your Win.10 PC could run 16-bit Apps.

It might be an easier and  time-saving way.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 3:13 PM
  • Hi Ashidacchi

Windows 8, and 10 doenst have virtual pc , you should use/install/configure a virtual machine software
    and have to handle a "second machine"

why , if it shuold be "native" to run 16bit apps in W10 32 bit version like it is in W7 and  W8?

it is a bug as i see in various posts over internet , i hope they will fix it

becouse also the simple EDIT throw command prompt is not working

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:14 PM
  • I finally found the solution, thanks to Marcelo Capozzi in a different thread:

First:

Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> Legacy Components -> Enable NTVDM

Second:

Open "Command prompt"
        Right click over title "Command prompt" and select "Properties"
        Select "Use legacy console (require relauch)", then "Accept"
        Close and re-open "Command prompt" to test.

This worked for me on W10TP Build 10130 32-bit version. Both batch files and 16-bit programs now appear to work correctly. (Note: I have "compatibility" mode set for all the 16-bit programs, which may or may not be necessary now).

(Still no answer in respect to the registry key having the ~ before the OS).

• Edited by cdgoldin Monday, June 15, 2015 5:51 AM
    Monday, June 15, 2015 5:50 AM