Scanner drivers problem in Vista Home Basic RRS feed

• Question

• Dell 531, Vista Home Basic.  Tried 3 different scanners (Epson Canoscan 3000F, Lide 25, Lexmark X33430 multifunction) with the mfg updated Vista Drivers downloaded from their website.  Software loads.  However, I get the 'Windows found driver but encountered a problem' during driver load and the scanners not recognized in Device Manager.  Shown with !.  Tried deleting and reloading drivers, deleting .inf file, re-booting, etc.  Any ideas on what else I can do?  The 3000F and Lide 25 work on my Dell Laptop with XP.  The Lide 25 and Lexmark were certified to work with Vista. I'm concerned that even if I buy the latest scanner, it may not work.  Any ideas or options to try?

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:37 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

I have checked the compatibility information of each scanner, and confirm that Canon CanoScan Lide25 is certified for Windows Vista. (Fail to find the information of Lexmark X33430) Please use it to perform the troubleshooting steps below:

1.    Update all the drivers of Dell Inspiron Desktop 531 (especially Bios and Chipset) from the following website:

Dell Inspiron Desktop 531 Drivers designed for Windows Vista 32-bit version:
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INSP_DSKTP_D531&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

2.    Please confirm whether the error prompt is like: “Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device. Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.”

Such issues may occur if the Infcache.1 file that is in the %Windir%\System32 folder is deleted or corrupted. Please refer to the following KB article:

(KB940199) Error message when you try to install a new hardware device on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;940199

To get to hotfix, you may visit following page (fill the KB Article Number blank with 940199):
    https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1410&WS=hotfix

If the problem still persists, please let me know the exact content of error prompt you received. I’m happy to be of further assistance.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 3, 2007 3:10 AM