Steam: "Error: deleted Steam.exe but the file is still there" RRS feed

• Question

• Downloaded and ran the Steam games installer on Windows 7 x64 (retail), and the error message always displays upon automatic self-updating of the application (at the 27% mark).

Have tried to troubleshoot it, including (in various combinations):
    1. Running it under Windows XP (SP2) and Windows Vista (SP2) mode
    2. Running it under Administrator mode
    3. Unchecking the read only attribute of the Steam directory
    4. Disabling all antivirus and firewall programs that might possibly hook the application

The Steam application will not fully uninstall and the application directory is not deletable without a full restart of Windows 7.

Can anyone assist?
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 6:00 AM

Answers

• I thought disabling Norton would fix it but it turns out I needed to fully uninstall it for Steam to work.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:21 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:51 AM

All replies

• I am having exactly the same issue, I have been all over the security pieces of this, and can't figure it out.
    Mine does uninstall though.
    If anyone else has made it past this issue, please do tell.
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 3:40 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same exact problem. 

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Retail
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:02 AM
  • Greetings lystyl,

Just see the below for some more steps which may help you to troubleshoot the issue which you are facing,

This error is caused by a lack of user permissions, having the Steam.exe file attributes set to "Read Only", or by another program interfering with Steam's installation process (if the Steam client application has been updated to a version which was not included with your Steam installer package, Steam will download a new copy of itself and then delete the old Steam.exe file unless another program interferes).

• Check your security software's settings

If you are running an antivirus program, firewall program, or any security product which may be interfering with the deletion and replacement of the Steam.exe file (some security software will check a file's information every time it is changed and block automatic replacement of files) please check your settings for the program and make sure that you are prompted to allow activities which may trigger the security software.

• Disable any programs which interfere with Steam

Please consult the topic linked below and make sure any programs on the list are either disabled or uninstalled:
      https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289 

• Remove Spyware, Adware, and Viruses

If the issue persists it is possible that a virus, adware, or spyware may be interfering with the installation process. Please see the topic linked below for instructions to remove the offending program:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6057-YLBN-1660

Hope this helps.

Regards,
      Harish

NOTE - Disclaimer

The links in this message may lead to third-party Web sites. Microsoft provides third-party resources to help you find customer service and/or technical support resources. Information at these sites may change without notice. Microsoft is not responsible for the content at any third-party Web sites and does not guarantee the accuracy of third-party information.

Monday, August 10, 2009 4:06 PM
  • I thought disabling Norton would fix it but it turns out I needed to fully uninstall it for Steam to work.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:21 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:51 AM
  • if you have like ANY type of anti virus like Kapersky by any chance, exit it first, install it, then reopen ur anti virus :P, steam has a list of anti-viruses and programs that it wont work with when installing
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:33 AM
  • if you have like ANY type of anti virus like Kapersky by any chance, exit it first, install it, then reopen ur anti virus :P, steam has a list of anti-viruses and programs that it wont work with when installing

when i mean install it, i mean install steam :D
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:34 AM
  • this is old you may have fixed it but i just had this error. uninstall steam, reinstall when you get error message reboot into safe mode and run the steam.exe file on your desktop or even try steam new and it should update. i just had this problem i tried all the forums and no luck, this was the only fix for me. Running windows 7 RC
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:01 AM
  • I found a solution! ... Steam can't install when the windows text size is on 125%. When I put it back to 100%, everything worked.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:30 AM