none
Folder redirection issues

Question

• We have a CIFS/SMB 2TB share presented from a netapp filer that we use for folder redirection. We redirect the following folders to this share for each user Start Menu, Downloads, Appdata (Roaming), Desktop, Favorites, links, there is around 8000 user folders within the root share and around 1.5TB of data within the above redirected folders . On a standard day we have around 3000 concurrent Citrix users.  The setting move content's to new location is not ticked on any of the redirected folders. We have issues on random days where it hangs on logging in via both via Citrix and RDP at applying folder redirection settings for 30+ mins for all users.  When i deny the apply group policy permission on the GPO that sets the folder redirection i get straight in to my Desktop. When these issues occur the latency on the storage goes as high as 80ms when working fine it sits around 3-5ms when the latency goes down you eventually get your Desktop and the Citrix/RDP session completes. The version of Netapp ontap we use only allows single thread access across the CPU/cores on the storage controller there is plans to upgrade this to allow multi threading. I have ran procmon and i can see there is a read (pointer) at the storage layer for each redirected folder and each file/folder within the redirected folder. Due to the large amount of data which sits within the redirected folders for each user 1.8 million files within Appdata, 600k with the Desktop am i right in thinking this issue is purely a issue with the storage where it cant cope with the amount of Read's at user logons and down to user bad practice ?. There is no quota's or file screen's in place so users have free reign to store as much data as they want on the redirected folders.  I have inherited this environment and apart from having a mass cleanup of data within the redirected folders or removing folder redirection for the Desktop/Appdata folders am i right in thinking there isnt much i can do ? 

opinion's please!!

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 6:04 PM

All replies

• Hi c4rm,

Thanks for your post.

You can use Windows Performance Monitor to examine how programs you run affect your computer's performance, both in real time and by collecting log data for later analysis.

Windows Performance Monitor

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749249.aspx

Detecting Disk Bottlenecks

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windowsnt/4/workstation/reskit/en-us/06disk1.mspx?mfr=true

Please check if it is related to network problem and  try to upgrade the corresponding hardware to have a check.

Since I'm not familiar with Citrix and Netapp, it may be caused by these 3rd party settings,  please find similar third party monitor to monitor Netapp. And you may try to post in Citrix Forum to check if there's some inappropriate settings about Citrix.

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 18, 2015 1:32 AM
  • Hi its folder redirection related as you get the same symptoms when using RDP it hangs at Applying user settings/ Applying folder redirection policy.  Netapp is the SAN that presents the CIFS share that contains each users redirected folders
    Tuesday, October 06, 2015 6:52 PM