Outlook connectivity test for Mapi/HTTP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Thanks in advance, in our Office365 message center we got an update saying that from October 31st all exchange online accounts switch to MAPI/HTTP connections from the existing RPC/HTTP.

So, as per Microsoft guidelines Outlook 2007 does not support MAPI/HTTP & hence we will have to update them to either 2010/2013/2016.

Also, Outlook 2010 & 2013 needs to have an update of December 2015 at least for this to be working.

My question is, is there any possibility we can test the connectivity from Outlook 2010 & 2013 to Exchange online on MAPI/HTTP connectivity before October 31st?

Many Thanks,

Niri

Friday, June 9, 2017 1:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Winnie,

Thanks for the reply, I will test as you have listed here, but currently our Exchange Online mailboxes are working under RPC/HTTP protocol right? How there is a possibility that we can test MAPI/HTTP connectivity on these Exchange online mailbox accounts?? Does the above test scenario match my question's scenario?

Also, for OUtlook 2013 SP1 only  May Office 2013 public update is enough?

Thanks,

Niri

Niranjan

Hi Niri,

Exchange Online is enabled for MAPI/HTTP service by default. And Outlook clients that are not MAPI over HTTP capable can still use Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP) to access Exchange through a MAPI-enabled Client Access server.

Therefore, you can just update your Outlook client to the latest version which should be supported for MAPI over HTTP connection. Then you can follow my suggestion above to confirm if the MAPI/HTTP has been used in client side.

For more information about the latest version of Outlook updates, please refer to:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Outlook-Updates-472c2322-23a4-4014-8f02-bbc09ad62213?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

If there is anything unclear about it, please feel free to let me know :)

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 16, 2017 2:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Niri,

Do you mean you want to confirm if the MAPI/HTTP has been used for Outlook 2010&2013 connection to Exchange Online in Outlook client side?

I think we can do the following steps to check the MAPI/HTTP feature:

1. Outlook clients must be updated to use MAPI/HTTP. Office 2013 SP1 or Office 365 ProPlus February update (SP1 equivalent for ProPlus) are required for MAPI/HTTP. It is recommend you deploy the May Office 2013 public update or the April update for Office 365 ProPlus to eliminate the restart prompt when MAPI/HTTP is enabled for users.
    2. Outlook 2010 was updated to support MAPI/HTTP in the January 2015 Public Update, and additional fixes for it were released in the April 2015 Public Update
    3. Create new Outlook profile in Outlook 2010/2013, finish the account setup. We can check the Connection Status for MAPI/HTTP connection: press and hold Ctrl, and then right-click the Outlook icon in the notification area, click Connection Status to check the protocol information:

Field

Value

Protocol

HTTP (v/s RPC/HTTP for Outlook Anywhere)

Proxy Server

Empty

Server name

Actual server name (v/s GUID for Outlook Anywhere connections)

Please try it. And feel free to post back if you need any further help :)

Regards,

Winnie Liang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 12, 2017 9:23 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

Thanks for the reply, I will test as you have listed here, but currently our Exchange Online mailboxes are working under RPC/HTTP protocol right? How there is a possibility that we can test MAPI/HTTP connectivity on these Exchange online mailbox accounts?? Does the above test scenario match my question's scenario?

Thanks,

Niri

Niranjan

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 8:49 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

Thanks,

Niri

Niranjan

Hi Niri,

Exchange Online is enabled for MAPI/HTTP service by default. And Outlook clients that are not MAPI over HTTP capable can still use Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP) to access Exchange through a MAPI-enabled Client Access server.

Therefore, you can just update your Outlook client to the latest version which should be supported for MAPI over HTTP connection. Then you can follow my suggestion above to confirm if the MAPI/HTTP has been used in client side.

For more information about the latest version of Outlook updates, please refer to:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Outlook-Updates-472c2322-23a4-4014-8f02-bbc09ad62213?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

If there is anything unclear about it, please feel free to let me know :)

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Friday, June 16, 2017 2:23 AM
  • Hi Niri,

How about the issue? Any updates on the tread?

If there is anything unclear about my previous reply, please feel free to point it out. I am glad to be of assistance.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:42 AM