none
Sharepoint Online 'Old vs New Sync Client' setting question?

Question

• We run Windows 10 on our devices, with Office 2016 (MSI) installed, including the OneDrive for Business (Groove.exe).  We are looking to the new Onedrive.exe Next-Gen client, and how we can migrate.

At present, we have the Sharepoint Online Settings set as follows:

OneDrive for Business experience: New Experience

OneDrive Sync Button: Start the Old client

Sync Client for SharePoint: Start the Old client

I understand that I need to switch over the settings above to 'Start the New Client' to enable SP Online to use Onedrive.exe to sync (as opposed to groove.exe).  However, for our devices that still have the Onedrive for Business 2016 (Groove) installed and being used, I'm not sure what effect the change will have?  Will it just keep using the groove.exe because it is there/has been used?  Will it start using the new onedrive.exe client, forcing duplicate files on the local drive?

I'm aware of this registry setting below which will tell the system to think that the new settings are in place, but eventually we will need to make the leap, and I need to have an idea what the implications are.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Enable-users-to-sync-SharePoint-files-with-the-new-OneDrive-sync-client-22e1f635-fb89-49e0-a176-edab26f69614

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OneDrive]
    "TeamSiteSyncPreview"=dword:00000001

Any thoughts or insights ?

Thanks.

Michael Mollard Network Administrator Moreton Bay College Brisbane, Australia.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Mickers,

After we set the SharePoint to sync with the new OneDrive sync client in settings in Central Admin, when we sign in to the new OneDrive sync client, the new OneDrive sync client automatically takes over syncing the sites libraries that the previous OneDrive for Business sync client was syncing without re-downloading the content.

Sometimes, there are some types of library are not yet supported by the new OneDrive sync client, the previous sync client will continue to sync that library.

More information refer to the official article below:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Transition-from-the-previous-OneDrive-for-Business-sync-client-4100df3a-0c96-464f-b0a8-c20de34da6fa?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:31 AM
  • Grace,

Can you confirm whether it matters if the client has the old 'Onedrive for Business' (Groove.exe) installed?

We are testing with the registry key at the moment, and if we have *both* the groove.exe installed as part of Office 2016 (MSI), *and* the 'TeamSiteSyncPreview' registry key enabled, it still tries to use the Groove.exe, not onedrive.exe.  

Does the registry key fully emulate the Sharepoint 'new client' settings, or only partially?

I guess i'm also asking if we would have to the run the 'onedrive.exe /takeover' on machines with groove.exe installed?

Cheers.

Michael Mollard Network Administrator Moreton Bay College Brisbane, Australia.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:22 AM
  • Hi Mickers,

After downloading the new sync client and putting in the register key, be sure to open the new client at least once so the association with the "Sync" button in Sites is made, otherwise OneDrive for Business will continue to be the default app when you press Sync.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 12:43 PM