Attachment Filtering removing journal reports RRS feed

• Question

• We're in the middle of a migration from 2010 to 2016.  All transport has been moved to 2016 and with the switch to 2016 Edge Transport servers, we have been having random journaling reports to our external archive provider getting removed by the attachment filter on the ET server.  To confirm this, I identified a message that was always having this issue, confirmed the attachment filter reliably deleted the journal report and replaced it with the .txt file with the message "The attachment was removed." and then disabled the attachment filter service.  After disabling the attachment filter service, the issue no longer happens, however I would like to have the attachment filtering running.  I have a few questions that hopefully someone can help with:

1)  Is there a way to identify which filtering entry is being matched on a particular message?

2)  I see that I can only bypass the attachment filtering by receive connector.  We only have 1 receive connector on the ET servers for both inbound and outbound messages.  If I wanted to not filter outbound attachments, or at least not filter anything destined for my archive provider, do you have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge,there is no such method to identity which filtering entry is being matched on a particular messag.If an attachment is stripped, it's replaced with a text file that explains why the attachment was removed.  the message itself and any other attachments that don't match the filter are allowed through. This is the default action.

Make sure that you carefully examine all possible file name matches and verify that legitimate attachments won't be affected by the filter.

About the second question,I have found no related article to bypass the attachment filtering by receive connector,please share the article you read.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124399.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

David Wang_
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Sunday, August 21, 2016 6:22 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2016 7:41 AM
  • If an attachment is stripped, it replaces it with a text file that says "The attachment was removed."  Although this message can be changed, it's the same for all matches, so it doesn't do anything to explain why the attachment was removed.
    Friday, August 12, 2016 12:57 PM
  • Hi,

Yes,I think that there is no such method to identity which filtering entry is being matched on a particular message.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

David Wang_
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 15, 2016 8:50 AM