none
Is there a way to retrieve hardware inventory data from Active Directory using PowerShell? RRS feed

• Question

• The domain admin at my organization implemented a vbscript that created an "Extract Hardware" option in Active Directory Users and Computers when you right click a computer object. I was working on a PowerShell script to get the info I need, but he insisted that due to slow WAN links it would be best to get the info from AD rather than use WMI, such as Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem. 

To be honest, I have no idea what he is talking about and I wanted to know if any of you scripters out there would be privy to this.

Is there a way for me to use PowerShell to extract hardware data from Active Directory instead of using WMI?

Thank you

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hardware information about computers is not stored in Active Directory.

To see what is stored about a computer object, double-click on a computer object (any will do) in ADUC and click on the Attribute Editor tab. (If you don't see the Attribute Editor tab, enable the 'Advanced Features' option on the View menu.)

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:51 PM
  • THere are third  party add-ins to AD that can grab other information and ssore it in AD.

THe right click and get is probably anAD extension script that runs against the selected object.  It is documment on  technet if you search for it.

As Billhas already noted.  AD does not natively keep hardware info.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 7:30 PM
  • It doesn't sound like it's third party. He indicated that a domain admin "implemented a vbscript that created an 'Extract Hardware' option in Active Directory Users and Computers when you right click a computer object."

If that's the case he can likely pull the information with Get-AdComputer

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:49 PM
  • It doesn't sound like it's third party. He indicated that a domain admin "implemented a vbscript that created an 'Extract Hardware' option in Active Directory Users and Computers when you right click a computer object."

If that's the case he can likely pull the information with Get-AdComputer

Isn't that what I just said? "The right click and it is probably an AD extension script that runs against the selected object.  It is documment on  technet if you search for it."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:59 PM
  • Her are examples by the hundreds:

https://www.google.com/#newwindow=1&q=aduc+add+script+to+menu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:00 PM
  • If that's the case he can likely pull the information with Get-AdComputer

You can't pull hardware information using Get-ADComputer because hardware information is not stored in Active Directory.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:23 PM
  • And down the rabbit hole we go, Go ask....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:25 PM
  • And down the rabbit hole we go, Go ask....

HAHA!! 

jrv your surly east coast manner is quite hilarious. 

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. 

By the way, I realize that AD does not contain hardware inventory info, but I specifically wanted to know more about this AD menu option since I am not supposed to run WMI PowerShell calls across the WAN and I have no idea how I am supposed to NOT do that and retrieve hardware inventory info in an expedited ad hoc sort of way. 

I will just address it with management. 

Thanks jrv for the Google link, I will take a gander. I actually did do a search prior to posting my question to this thread and I basically got the same results as you did in Google, but I like to ask out in Scriptville to get some confirmation regarding my findings as well.  

Thanks again fellas.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:01 PM
  • East coast?  I am from California.  Central Valley. GoW out my back door.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:20 PM
  • WHAT!!?

Seriously, that explains everything then. I could've sworn your profile stated that you worked in the NY Metro Area, but that could be telecommute. 

Anyway, I am from the same area originally and I have the same exact attitude - LOL.

Go Fresno Bulldogs!

Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:23 PM
  • Ha - Fresno.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:50 PM
  • Exactly, which is why I don't live there anymore, or in Cali period. 

Thanks again for your help, have a good one. 

Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:27 PM