none
Microsoft: SteadyState Users Want To Upgrade To Windows 7! RRS feed

• General discussion

• It seems there are literally tens of thousands of licensed in schools, internet cafes, and companies that use Windows SteadyState to maintain clean, common area access computers.

Due to the removal of Safeguard from the Windows 7 release, many IT decision makers are forced to continue using Windows XP for their SteadyState needs.

Without Microsoft continuing support on such an important product, users of SteadyState will continue using operating systems the company wants to sunset.  Staff will either be forced to incur third party software cost or abandon Windows altogether in favor of an open source solution.

I'm sure Microsoft's intent is not to lose millions of potential revenue shareholders expect with the release of a new operating system.  But the large question looms:

If we want to upgrade our systems to the safest and best Windows yet, what is Microsoft's recommendation to the myriad of users who depend on Windows SteadyState to maintain the integrity of the IT ecosystem?

PLEASE HELP!  WE WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY!
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:12 AM

All replies

• Hi VeeEyePee, I fully understand your concern regarding this. Regarding Windows SteadyState and Windows 7, you can check the following thread:

Are you a big user of SteadyState? Can you tell us about it? we would love to hear from you!
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/2fba3348-066f-4a04-9392-b8fee133b281

-ET is currently collecting information regarding this. You can send email to the email address included in the thread. Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:33 AM
  • My concern isn't only for myself, but for the silent majority of users, businesses, non-profit organizations, and communities that are going to be directly impacted by this but do not speak up.

It took me a great deal of time to figure out even where I COULD say something that has a shot of making an impact at Microsoft.  Expecting those of us obsessed enough to troll message boards to reflect what the general public's opinion and concerns may be will have you chasing ghosts.

My personal needs are limited to a few small machines in a small business.  My global concern is the messages I am seeing time and again throughout the web coming from people that deal with many more computers under much more adverse circumstances and how their opinions are falling on deaf ears.

If this was a case of incompatibility due to a feature set, I could understand.  But the functionality was baked into betas and subsequently removed, indicating that a lot of work had already been done to this feature to get it working in 7!

Collecting information is one thing, but what are what is the official recommendation from Redmond in the interim?
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Strike ONE Microsoft!  Support for county wide main and branch libraries used Steady State to keep the computers safe and available to the public.  When I finally got a look at the production release of Win7 I was shocked that providions for Steady State were not included.   There is no way right now to find funds to use a 3rd party product that will keep the OS and desktops secure so we will have to keep our Win XP configuration.  

Sad part is we planned new hardware this year, when Steady State was still in the developement tool kit for Win 7, so we could move up a portion of our stations.  Maybe the the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation could fund the development behind a Win 7 Steady State product.  They have been more than generous to help our library with hardware and software in the past so now I would like to see if they can go the extra mile to support the progress that has been made in the past.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:08 PM