none
Exchange 2010 is not receiving external emails

Question

• We had to shut down our on premise exchange server for 4 days. when i turned it back on emails from external sources are not being delivered. when i restart the server we get external emails for about 5-10 minutes and then they stop again. i have ruled out back pressure, as well as Virus protection, and our Spam filter. i have restarted our transport services and nothing seems to be working please help.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:30 PM

Answers

• Test using telnet to port 25 from an external system.  Make sure you test on a network that doesn't block port 25.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:47 PM
  • Hi,

Please disable any third-party mail filter and mail scanning in Exchange server. Also check the firewall settings (if there is) in your environment.

Send a test message from an external user and collect the NDR if the message sending fails. Reboot the Exchange server and make sure all Exchange services are started and running. Collect any event logs for further troubleshooting.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:54 AM

All replies

• Test using telnet to port 25 from an external system.  Make sure you test on a network that doesn't block port 25.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:47 PM
  • Hi,

Please disable any third-party mail filter and mail scanning in Exchange server. Also check the firewall settings (if there is) in your environment.

Send a test message from an external user and collect the NDR if the message sending fails. Reboot the Exchange server and make sure all Exchange services are started and running. Collect any event logs for further troubleshooting.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:54 AM