WSS3.0 List with versioning changing last updated by name RRS feed

• Question

• We are using a WSS3.0 site with a custom list with versioning turned on.  We allow multiple attachments to be added to an individual list item.  We have a comments box that users can enter comments in, or not.  We have recently upgraded to Win 7, IE 8 and Office 2010.

The problem:  If a user goes to the list item, click on a document in the item, edits the document, saves the document the comments box in the list changes the name of the last comment created to the person who updated the document. 

Example, when I view the list item the comments box will say:  Howley, Martin (3/27/2011 7:40 AM): Reed emailed approval.

If John Smith edits the attachment by clicking on it, when he saves the attachment the comments box will say: Smith, John (3/29/2011 10:40 AM): Reed emailed approval.

This is changing the comments field, and throwing off our date/time stamp comments – any ideas?

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Martin!

I believe your comments box has the 'Append Changes to Existing Text' set to "Yes".  If so the data that is entered into this field is passed to the next user whenever they update the document.  I setup a test custom list in my environment and was able to duplicate the issue with this feature set at "Yes".

Cheers,

Stu

http://about.me/stuartblank

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:20 PM
  • If you append the text ,the behavior is like that only.Even though the last person didnt edited the comment box ,that person name will come there

Destin -MCPD: SharePoint Developer 2010, MCTS:SharePoint 2007 Application Development
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Martin!

I believe your comments box has the 'Append Changes to Existing Text' set to "Yes".  If so the data that is entered into this field is passed to the next user whenever they update the document.  I setup a test custom list in my environment and was able to duplicate the issue with this feature set at "Yes".

Cheers,

Stu

http://about.me/stuartblank

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:20 PM
  • If you append the text ,the behavior is like that only.Even though the last person didnt edited the comment box ,that person name will come there

Destin -MCPD: SharePoint Developer 2010, MCTS:SharePoint 2007 Application Development
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:12 PM