none
Moving mailboxes to a differant mailbox database - Exchange 2010! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Seniors,

How can I view all mailboxes in a specific mailbox database under Exchange 2010? And How can I move all mailboxes in that specific database to another one at once! What is the best possible practice?

Appreciate any help on some GUI method.

• Edited by Insaf Muhammed Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:53 AM Better Language:)
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

get-mailboxdatabase -id "name of database" | get-mailbox should give you a list of all mailboxes in that database

get-mailboxdatabase -id "name of database" | new-moverequest (with some more parameters) should move all mailboxes to the target database.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351123.aspx

In the gui you can create a filter to search for all mailboxes in a specific database, select all these and then select move mailbox

Leif

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Hi,

I don't believe that there is such a best practice - seen from a user perspective it doesn't matter where the mailbox is located as long as it works and it performs.

If you select all mailboxes and move them in one go you will need to consider the transaction log filers created during the move - in many environment selecting all users in a database and moving these would mean that the disk used for transaction log files would be filled up = problems.

Leif

• Marked as answer by Insaf Muhammed Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

get-mailboxdatabase -id "name of database" | get-mailbox should give you a list of all mailboxes in that database

get-mailboxdatabase -id "name of database" | new-moverequest (with some more parameters) should move all mailboxes to the target database.

In the gui you can create a filter to search for all mailboxes in a specific database, select all these and then select move mailbox

Leif

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Hi,

Leif

Thank you Leif!!!! The filtering did the finding :) Again, is it best practice to 'select all mailboxes' together and move at once?? Please confirm!
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

I don't believe that there is such a best practice - seen from a user perspective it doesn't matter where the mailbox is located as long as it works and it performs.

If you select all mailboxes and move them in one go you will need to consider the transaction log filers created during the move - in many environment selecting all users in a database and moving these would mean that the disk used for transaction log files would be filled up = problems.

Leif

• Marked as answer by Insaf Muhammed Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Hi,

Leif

Thanks. This what I cared (=problems). I'll continue to move them partially!
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:21 PM