PAS security issue RRS feed

• Question

• My company is evaluating Proclarity Analytics Server.  I have the server set up, some briefing books imported to the server (from our current desktop version) and users are able to use web standard and access the books.  Problem is no matter how I configure security, is is like there is none.  Any user I have in a role can see all data after they log in.  I have disabled author and reader on every library and book (using the admin tool) and nothing changes.  I have unchecked 'Use OLAP cube security'.  The PAS web server is using basic authentication only.
    Thanks

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:04 PM

Answers

• I just want to be sure we're all talking about the same "data security".  When talking about ProClarity Analytic Server security, the only information that is being secured is which libraries, briefing books, files, and shared items the user can see when they log into the ProClarity site.  Once a user opens a particular view, Analysis Services security is used to decide what information from the cube they are able to see, such as hierarchies, members, etc.  When you say that all users can see data in the ProClarity Analytics Server, do you mean they are seeing libraries or books they aren't supposed to be able to see?

If this is the case, I would take the suggestion of looking through the relevant portions of the Admin Guide for security information.  The PAS security model is a cascading model, so it can be a little confusing until you get your head wrapped around it.  Let us know if you have any questions after looking through the guide.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:06 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The only scenario I can think of is that the Everyone group has been added to the ProClarity Adminsitrator's Role within the Admin Tool.  Can you verify that only the necessary Adminsitrators are added into that group? 

Regards,

Amanda

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Can you clarify which version of the Desktop you are using to publish to which version of PAS?  If the versions don't match, it may be the cause of this behavior.  If you are evaluating 6.3 PAS, it will be necessary to publish the content using the 6.3 Professional client.  Please let us know what the versions are and whether or not this was the cause of the behavior.

-Bob

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:45 PM
  • Both versions are 6.3.129.200.  The books were created in earlier versions and emailed to me.  I then opened them and published to the server.

Thanks

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:10 PM
  •  Amanda Ruffner - MSFT wrote:

Hello,

The only scenario I can think of is that the Everyone group has been added to the ProClarity Adminsitrator's Role within the Admin Tool.  Can you verify that only the necessary Adminsitrators are added into that group? 

Regards,

Amanda

My account is the only one showing  in the admin group using the Proclarity admin tool

Thanks

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Do you have security configured at the library or server level to allow users access?  I believe that the easiest way to apply security is to deny everything at the top levels, then work down from there.  It might be beneficial for you to review the section of the PAS Admin Guide titled Managing Roles, User Accounts and Publishing Properties as it is possible that the users have been granted access at the server or library level.

Thanks,

Bob

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:48 PM
  • I just want to be sure we're all talking about the same "data security".  When talking about ProClarity Analytic Server security, the only information that is being secured is which libraries, briefing books, files, and shared items the user can see when they log into the ProClarity site.  Once a user opens a particular view, Analysis Services security is used to decide what information from the cube they are able to see, such as hierarchies, members, etc.  When you say that all users can see data in the ProClarity Analytics Server, do you mean they are seeing libraries or books they aren't supposed to be able to see?

If this is the case, I would take the suggestion of looking through the relevant portions of the Admin Guide for security information.  The PAS security model is a cascading model, so it can be a little confusing until you get your head wrapped around it.  Let us know if you have any questions after looking through the guide.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:06 AM