none
How do you do updates to a VM and Capture it to a WIM...a second time? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently read up on how to create a VM and capture it all in one task. It works nicely.

I also found out how to take a snapshot of the VM just before it syspreps, during the Suspend step.

So, now I have a Checkpoint of my VM and I need to make more changes. Initially, I booted a blank VM to the ISO which installed the OS. Now that I have changes to make and Capture it again, what's the correct process to do this? I know I don't want to boot back to the LiteTouch boot ISO file again, so how do I capture a VM already created? This second time around do I just make changes to the existing VM, Checkpoint it and then boot to a Capture & Sysprep TS to create a new WIM?

Sunday, May 12, 2019 3:11 AM

Answers

• When you add a suspend it is normal to have the MiniNT folder because there should be a shortcut on the desktop to resume. 

Example

On my VM I built for Win10 I too had a suspend in the TS. I then made a snapshot. After that I power on the VM and click resume shortcut on desktop and it makes a capture for me. 

After a month I restore the VM to the last snapshot then patch the VM. Then power it off and make a new snapshot. Then power it on and click resume shortcut on the desktop and it makes a capture for me (but this time the image is patched). 

This is how I can maintain the image on a monthly basis or as needed.

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Monday, May 13, 2019 5:48 PM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 5:16 PM

All replies

• Unless I'm wrong, I am going to continue to do what I've always done. Run my already-created VM through my Build$ Task Sequence, 1809 Capture. I guess you only use the Standard Client TS to create a non-existing new VM and Capture it all at once.
    Sunday, May 12, 2019 12:48 PM
  • If I am reading your question correctly all you need to do is revert the VM to the snapshot prior to your sysprep then delete that snaphot. Now your VM is at a state prior to sysprep, make any changes and updates you need then make a new snapshot and sysprep and capture the VM.
    Sunday, May 12, 2019 1:25 PM
  • Thanks. My question is: When I create a 'new' VM, I am booting to my LiteTouch ISO to get my OS installed and do a Capture to a WIM, all in one step.

Now I have a VM with a Checkpoint, but I need to make changes to the VM. What is the process of 'capturing' the VM at this point? I know it isn't running it through the LiteTouch ISO again because that would install the fresh OS over it like the first time. I am going with just creating a new Sysprep & Capture TS and having my updated VM run through it, just to capture an updated WIM from the VM I made new changes to, correct?

Sunday, May 12, 2019 3:02 PM
  • So I added a Suspend step in my TS before it syspreps. I added a few changes and took a Checkpoint snapshot of the VM. I then clicked Resume and it completed.

When I open my VM after applying the Checkpoint, I now see a MININT folder on C: and a shortcut to Resume the TS.

Sunday, May 12, 2019 4:35 PM
  • I added the Suspend during the Standard Client TS. I made a few changes, made a Checkpoint, hit the Resume and it all completed.

Now I open my VM after applying the checkpoint and I see a MININT folder on my C: and the shortcut to Resume the TS on the desktop. What's the workaround for this?

Sunday, May 12, 2019 4:37 PM
  • When you add a suspend it is normal to have the MiniNT folder because there should be a shortcut on the desktop to resume. 

Example

On my VM I built for Win10 I too had a suspend in the TS. I then made a snapshot. After that I power on the VM and click resume shortcut on desktop and it makes a capture for me. 

After a month I restore the VM to the last snapshot then patch the VM. Then power it off and make a new snapshot. Then power it on and click resume shortcut on the desktop and it makes a capture for me (but this time the image is patched). 

This is how I can maintain the image on a monthly basis or as needed.

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Monday, May 13, 2019 5:48 PM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 5:16 PM
  • Yes for me the missing piece was continually clicking the Resume, not just the initial time, but every time after to  updated capture the image. I'm on board now.
    Monday, May 13, 2019 5:48 PM