DPM 2012 - Protection Group Design RRS feed

• Question

• Good day!

My environment is DPM 2012, backing up about 50 physical servers, divided into your standard Gold, Silver, and Bronze tiers.

My question is this:

Should we have a protection group for each server, or create a protection group for each Tier?  (Probably a couple of groups, Gold1, Gold2, etc. to allow us to stagger the sync and tape backups).

Thanks!

--Brian

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:38 PM

Answers

• Good day!

My environment is DPM 2012, backing up about 50 physical servers, divided into your standard Gold, Silver, and Bronze tiers.

My question is this:

Should we have a protection group for each server, or create a protection group for each Tier?  (Probably a couple of groups, Gold1, Gold2, etc. to allow us to stagger the sync and tape backups).

Thanks!

--Brian

Hi Brian,

I tend to group protection groups based on what I am protecting. For example I will have one for SQL, one for Exchange, Hyper-V, servers, clients etc. I do this because I can have different sets of settings for each one. For example I need SQL to synchronize more often then I would on file servers or BMR/System State of servers. 

That is how I tend to set things up but you dont have to follow that by any means. I just wanted to give you an example. I would not recommend creating individual protection groups for each of your 50 servers. That would end up being a lot to manage or if you lost your DPM server or needed to move that would be a lot of protection groups you would have to re-create. I would recommend finding something common to group multiple servers into the same protection groups. The less complex you can make your design the better.

Here is a TechNet link for designing protection groups in DPM:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399609.aspx

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

• Proposed as answer by BuchatechMVP Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:09 PM
    • Edited by BuchatechMVP Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Brian C. Johnson Monday, October 8, 2012 3:47 PM
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:09 PM
  • Hi Brian,

You can do a protection to disk then to tape (D2D2T) in the same protection group.

Here is another article from MVP Matt Marlor around designing your protection groups this may help shed some more light:

http://www.autechheads.com/blogs/entryid/252/dpm-protection-group-design-considerations

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Saturday, October 6, 2012 5:48 PM

All replies

• Good day!

My question is this:

Thanks!

--Brian

Hi Brian,

I tend to group protection groups based on what I am protecting. For example I will have one for SQL, one for Exchange, Hyper-V, servers, clients etc. I do this because I can have different sets of settings for each one. For example I need SQL to synchronize more often then I would on file servers or BMR/System State of servers. 

That is how I tend to set things up but you dont have to follow that by any means. I just wanted to give you an example. I would not recommend creating individual protection groups for each of your 50 servers. That would end up being a lot to manage or if you lost your DPM server or needed to move that would be a lot of protection groups you would have to re-create. I would recommend finding something common to group multiple servers into the same protection groups. The less complex you can make your design the better.

Here is a TechNet link for designing protection groups in DPM:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399609.aspx

• Proposed as answer by BuchatechMVP Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:09 PM
    • Edited by BuchatechMVP Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Brian C. Johnson Monday, October 8, 2012 3:47 PM
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:09 PM
  • Thanks for the response!  A couple of quick follow-up questions:

Let's say we have a bunch (20) SQL servers in our "Gold" tier (12 hour sync, daily full express, daily to tape).

Can this all be shoved into a single protection group, or should they be split across a couple of groups, so we can stagger the daily full express and daily to tape jobs? 

If they should be split, how many jobs should a single protection group contain, before we should make an additional protection group?

Monday, October 1, 2012 6:42 PM
  • Hi Brian,

You can do a protection to disk then to tape (D2D2T) in the same protection group.

Here is another article from MVP Matt Marlor around designing your protection groups this may help shed some more light:

http://www.autechheads.com/blogs/entryid/252/dpm-protection-group-design-considerations

Saturday, October 6, 2012 5:48 PM