none
System Center Suite RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I've read all I can and still no real answer to the basic of questions.  My organization wants to put to use the System Center Suite which we own.  And yet, no matter what we look at we are unable to find a prefered method to build out the suite. By that I mean:

1 - What order to create the systems

2 - What components can be virtualized and what must be physical

3 - What components can be combined onto various servers

I realize after all the reading and attempts to figure out what and how that there does not seem to be any real "plan" regarding this first, this second and so on.  We will be planning on continuing to use Configuration Manager, Virtual Machine Manager and we want to add Service Manager and any other pieces that in the long run can make our setup more efficient or at least more functional.

John Kylen
    • Changed type Kevin Remde Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:17 PM An ask for "advice" is not a question, but can have many more than one answer.
    • Changed type Kevin Remde Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:17 PM An ask for "advice" is not a question, but can have many more than one answer.
    • Changed type Kevin Remde Friday, December 7, 2012 11:42 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:21 PM

Answers

• Well, a good place to start is to map out your system specs, I'm a bit cranky, I like physical servers to act as part of my core system monitoring, just because I like to be able to add hardware easily or in the cases of doing any network related monitoring, I can add real network cards and devices.

I am guessing you have an existing domian and infrastructure, so I would look at them in terms of functions, if you rolling sccm into the mix and plan on pusing images out to other machines, I would go with a physcial box with extended storage capacity.

Many ways you can skin this cat on hardware vs. vm implementation.

:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Friday, December 7, 2012 11:43 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:36 PM

All replies

• Well, a good place to start is to map out your system specs, I'm a bit cranky, I like physical servers to act as part of my core system monitoring, just because I like to be able to add hardware easily or in the cases of doing any network related monitoring, I can add real network cards and devices.

I am guessing you have an existing domian and infrastructure, so I would look at them in terms of functions, if you rolling sccm into the mix and plan on pusing images out to other machines, I would go with a physcial box with extended storage capacity.

Many ways you can skin this cat on hardware vs. vm implementation.

:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Friday, December 7, 2012 11:43 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:36 PM
  • I couldnt agree more.  We do already use SCCM and we have used it both as a physical device and as a virtual one.  We only migrated to vitrual when we had a fatal hardware failure.  Our plan is to rebuild the system when we deploy SCCM 2012.  And the physical vs virtual is touchy only because of how some systems function.  I look at VMM (for example) and say that this is a system to manage my virtual world so I should never make that virtual - but I can get away with a smaller server to run this.

So, back side explaination.  Yes - a full domain of 75+ servers and 350+ workstations (laptops & desktops).  We use SCCM to push out software and even to push the operating systems.  VMM has been on-line to manage our virtual inferstructure both VM and Hyper-V.  We recently purchased the remainder of the license so we now can look at the rest (DPM, SCOM, Service Manager, etc.) which is what I was hoping to build on others experiances.  I was hoping to find out if others had put the suite together how they might have done it and the experiances they have had.  In an effort to learn how to build it out I started to put pieces together and found that certain parts could not be on a Hyper-V system or that some systems could not even be on the same box.  Just trying to put together the product in the most effective manner.

John Kylen
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 8:43 PM