Outlook 2016 - Mails Moved to My Computer cannot be found RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am not sure what is going on. In my outlook 2016, I selected my mails and right clicked and selected Move to Folder, I selected the folder 'On My Computer (On My Computer)' . I cannot find the mails after movement.

Please suggest. Also the mails are not available in the mac Index (Cmd + Space).

Thanks,

Piyush

Thursday, October 4, 2018 11:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Piyush Chitkara,

Do you hide On My Computer folders? To show the On My Computer folders in the navigation pane, on the Outlook menu, click Preferences. Under Personal Settings, click General, and then, under Sidebar, clear the Hide On My Computer folders check box.

Have you set any rules or view settings to delete or hide these emails on this folder? Please check your Archive folder and view settings.

What’s the detailed version of Outlook 2016 for Mac? We can install the newest updates to see if there are any improvements.

Normally, Outlook for Mac won’t delete user’s email. In case there is a corrupted profile, please create a new profileto check the results.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, October 5, 2018 2:26 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, October 8, 2018 1:08 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2018 2:25 AM
  • Hi Piyush Chitkara,

Have you found those missing messages on Outlook for Mac? 

If you need further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, October 8, 2018 1:08 AM
  • Hi Piyush Chitkara,

I'm writing to see how is everything going on with this issue. Was my reply above helpful to you?

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 2:52 AM
  • Hi Perry,

I just made the same mistake today. I had intended to use an Outlook Mac rule to move some older mail messages to "Inbox (On My Computer)", but instead specified "On My Computer (On My Computer)", which seems to move the messages into a black hole. 

There does not seem to be a corresponding folder in Outlook and I can't find archive or message files on my computer which are able to be imported into Outlook. 

I specifically wanted these messages to remain searchable in Outlook. Would you be able to provide guidance for recovering these messages?

Thanks!

Keith

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:21 AM
  • SOLUTION: 

In Outlook, go to Edit->Find->Advanced Search

In the drop-down menu, which should list "Item Contains", select "Folder" 

Click the third drop-down to the right, where "None" should appear, and you should see one or more "On My Computer" options. 

One of these folders should contain your missing email messages. 

From here, you can simply select and drag the message to "Inbox (On My Computer)", or any other Outlook folder. 

Friday, December 14, 2018 9:23 PM