none
Send to -> Mail recipient Outlook 2016 Windows 7 issue RRS feed

• Question

• After updating Office 2010 to Office 2016 the "rightclick file -> send to -> mail recipent" function doesn't work when you have Swedish characters in folder/file name.

It doesn't work on Win7 but works on Win10

Friday, December 16, 2016 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's your detailed Outlook 2016 version? Please click File > Microsoft Account > About Outlook to check it.

I tested in my Windows 10 and there is no issue when sending to mail recipient with Swedish characters in folder/file name.

I will deploy a Windows 7 client to do further test and give updates tomorrow :)

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 19, 2016 10:16 AM
  • Hi,

I deployed a Windows 7 machine and installed Office 2016 on it. I can reproduce your issue with Outlook 2016 on Windows 7.

When I right-click a file which name contains Swedish character ä, click Send to > Mail recipient, there is no Outlook window prompted.

As a workaround, please rename it to another characters or insert it an attachment within Outlook to send it.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:31 AM
  • Try the below process - 

In windows explorer, in the address bar at the top type:

shell:sendto

You'll be taken here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Delete the mail recipient icon

create a new text file (show the file extension) and call it "Mail Recipient.MAPIMail" (It shouldn't have .txt at the end) once the file is created it should go back to the Envelope Icon

Open the file (with Notepad)

and type into the file:

Mail

Save the file.

See if the right click send to Mail Recipient works.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

We have the same issue with German (äöü) and French (éàè) Characters on Windows7 with Office2016.

It's a major issue, do you already have a hotfix for that issue?

Regards,

Marcus

Monday, April 10, 2017 6:08 AM
  • I have not found any official way to solve this issue.

But after some searching I found this work around on:

[not allowed to post links]

Create a new shortcut in : C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE16\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c ipm.note /a

This gives you a new send to entry that allows you to right click and send a file containing the special characters

If you need to be able to send multiple files at the same time use the vbs script you can find by google "Joseph's Script Method"

Thursday, March 1, 2018 12:11 PM
  • Hey its worked for me 

thanks !!

Thursday, August 30, 2018 11:04 AM
  • Try to delete registry setting: 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook\SupportUTF8
    (Make a backup before doing this). It helps, but what to break after this is unknown.

• Edited by bazki Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:40 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:35 PM