Subsites with inherited permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

there is  thousands of subsites with inherited permissions (read access) for thousands of users.

Question: how can be assigned write permissions individually for each subsite?

Thanks a lot,

Michel

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:20 AM

Answers

• Hi

you can use a powershell script

Check alos this link

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/16948/powershell-script-to-give-reader-permission-for-a-user-in-site-collection

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

• Edited by romeo donca Monday, May 13, 2013 8:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michel777 Monday, May 13, 2013 2:28 PM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 8:07 AM
  • Hello,

>Unfortunatelly have have only a site at an ASP

What do you mean by ASP?

If you have provided read access to all users then you can modify the read permission and add edit permission as well so wherever user is having read permission with in site collection (including all subsites), they will also get write permission.

Login with admin account in sharepoint site and Go to site action-->site permission-->click permission level from ribbon-->click on read permission-->select "edit item" checkbox and click ok.

Now you will see all the read users can also edit the item.

Correct me if i am wrong

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Please feel free to unmark answer if does not resolves your problem.

Monday, May 13, 2013 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

I understand that you want to allow users upload or create items in a certain sub site.

You need to notice 2 points:

1.  You can only grant permission to people or groups, instead of a sub sites.
    2.  A "write" level would need some more detailed permissions. You can create a new permission level with add, edit item permissions or use an existing level.

So I suggest you set the permission like:

1. Visit the sub site you want to modify>Site actions>Site Permissions>Stop inheriting permissions
    2. Create a group and grant it with “Contribute” permission, this will allow users in this group view, add, update and delete list items or documents.

Thanks,

Kenon Yin

Monday, May 13, 2013 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi

you can use a powershell script

Check alos this link

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/16948/powershell-script-to-give-reader-permission-for-a-user-in-site-collection

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

• Edited by romeo donca Monday, May 13, 2013 8:08 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 8:07 AM
  • Unfortunatelly have have only a site at an ASP. We cannot start any script.
    Monday, May 13, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Hello,

>Unfortunatelly have have only a site at an ASP

What do you mean by ASP?

If you have provided read access to all users then you can modify the read permission and add edit permission as well so wherever user is having read permission with in site collection (including all subsites), they will also get write permission.

Login with admin account in sharepoint site and Go to site action-->site permission-->click permission level from ribbon-->click on read permission-->select "edit item" checkbox and click ok.

Now you will see all the read users can also edit the item.

Correct me if i am wrong

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Please feel free to unmark answer if does not resolves your problem.

Monday, May 13, 2013 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

I understand that you want to allow users upload or create items in a certain sub site.

You need to notice 2 points:

1.  You can only grant permission to people or groups, instead of a sub sites.
    2.  A "write" level would need some more detailed permissions. You can create a new permission level with add, edit item permissions or use an existing level.

So I suggest you set the permission like:

1. Visit the sub site you want to modify>Site actions>Site Permissions>Stop inheriting permissions
    2. Create a group and grant it with “Contribute” permission, this will allow users in this group view, add, update and delete list items or documents.

Thanks,

Kenon Yin

Monday, May 13, 2013 9:13 AM
  • ASP = Application Service Provider -> we share our SharePoint Server with other companies.  What you suggested will not work: we cannot change anything at user, who are inhereted. But I understood: there is no way to mix inhereted permissions with local permissions. 
    Monday, May 13, 2013 2:28 PM