none
Windows Server 2012 Essentials upgrade to Windows Server 2016 Standard

Question

• Dear Guys,

I have a customer with Windows Server 2012 Essentials (non R2) installed and because of a business grow they have to upgrade their Windows Server to Standard edition. The Windows Server 2016 Standard licence had arrived, so we're planning the migration now.

If I have the right information it is possible to do an in-place upgrade from Windows Server 2012 Essentials to Windows Server 2012 Standard. And in-place migrations are also possible between Standard editions, I was doing this kind of upgrade on a terminal server a month ago, from 2008 R2 to 2012 and to 2016.

My question is that is it possible to do an upgrade directly from 2012 Essentials to 2016 Standard? If I want to end the upgrade with 2016 Standard, which is the best upgrade path? Do you have any experience with this?

Friday, July 13, 2018 8:22 AM

Answers

• If you have only one server host .

Method 1:

You can not do an upgrade directly from 2012 Essentials to 2016 Standard, but you can upgrade frome server 2012 essentials to server 2012 standard first if you have server 2012 std key then upgrade to server 2016 standard.( if you not have server 2012 std productkey ,you need buy it first.)

Server 2012 essential > server 2012 standard >server 2016 standard

run the following command line from an elevated cmd prompt:

dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /accepteula /productkey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Edit the command to use the correct Product Key and once done, it will prompt you for a reboot. Upon the reboot the server will become a standard server with SBS features like Dashboard, RWA, and Connect Computer etc.

Some key services are stopped during the upgrade.

To restart key services

1. On the server, open the Services administrative tool.
    2. In Services, right-click the SSDP Discovery service, and then click Properties.
    3. Change the Startup type to Automatic, click Start, and then click OK.
    4. In Services, right-click the UPnP Device Host service, and then click Properties.
    5. Change the Startup type to Automatic, click Start, and then click OK.
    6. In Services, select Windows Server UPnP Device Service, and then click Restart the service.

Method 2:

You need to migrate all your crucial data on wse2012 to client or external hard drive or virtual machine and confirm data availability on destination system. And clean install server 2016 standard, then config it and migrate data to it.

If you have a new server host.(recommend this method)

install 2016 Standard on new server .

The conditions about upgrading previous retail versions of Windows Server to Windows Server 2016 ,you can look this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/supported-upgrade-paths

migrate from essential 2012 to server 2016 std suggestions:

you can add Windows Server 2016 as a second DC first in the domain , then do other migration.

1 Use AD account who is both in domain admins and Enterprise Admins to transfer all fsmo roles to new server 2016 std (If it is possible ,you can exit domain for every client computer or active local administrator account first.) 2 move other server role , move settings and data to destination server 2016 std

3  add windows Server Essentials Experience role on server 2016std and run essential config wizard.

4install connect software and join computers to the new 2016 essentials .

5 Doing some necessary settings on dashboard in server 2016 essential(e. g RWA, backup schedule  etc ) 6 , remove old 2012 essentials server  if you do not want to use.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers for me if they help.thank you.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 16, 2018 11:28 AM

All replies

• If you want to end up with 2016 Standard, i would install 2016 Standard as a new system. Join it to the domain as a second DC, transfer AD roles to it, then transfer data to the 2016 server and then decommission the 2012.

Robert Pearman @titlerequired Windows Server Essentials.com

Saturday, July 14, 2018 2:38 PM
  • If you have only one server host .

Method 1:

You can not do an upgrade directly from 2012 Essentials to 2016 Standard, but you can upgrade frome server 2012 essentials to server 2012 standard first if you have server 2012 std key then upgrade to server 2016 standard.( if you not have server 2012 std productkey ,you need buy it first.)

Server 2012 essential > server 2012 standard >server 2016 standard

run the following command line from an elevated cmd prompt:

dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /accepteula /productkey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Edit the command to use the correct Product Key and once done, it will prompt you for a reboot. Upon the reboot the server will become a standard server with SBS features like Dashboard, RWA, and Connect Computer etc.

Some key services are stopped during the upgrade.

To restart key services

1. On the server, open the Services administrative tool.
    2. In Services, right-click the SSDP Discovery service, and then click Properties.
    3. Change the Startup type to Automatic, click Start, and then click OK.
    4. In Services, right-click the UPnP Device Host service, and then click Properties.
    5. Change the Startup type to Automatic, click Start, and then click OK.
    6. In Services, select Windows Server UPnP Device Service, and then click Restart the service.

Method 2:

You need to migrate all your crucial data on wse2012 to client or external hard drive or virtual machine and confirm data availability on destination system. And clean install server 2016 standard, then config it and migrate data to it.

If you have a new server host.(recommend this method)

install 2016 Standard on new server .

The conditions about upgrading previous retail versions of Windows Server to Windows Server 2016 ,you can look this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/supported-upgrade-paths

migrate from essential 2012 to server 2016 std suggestions:

you can add Windows Server 2016 as a second DC first in the domain , then do other migration.

1 Use AD account who is both in domain admins and Enterprise Admins to transfer all fsmo roles to new server 2016 std (If it is possible ,you can exit domain for every client computer or active local administrator account first.) 2 move other server role , move settings and data to destination server 2016 std

3  add windows Server Essentials Experience role on server 2016std and run essential config wizard.

4install connect software and join computers to the new 2016 essentials .

5 Doing some necessary settings on dashboard in server 2016 essential(e. g RWA, backup schedule  etc ) 6 , remove old 2012 essentials server  if you do not want to use.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers for me if they help.thank you.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 16, 2018 11:28 AM
  • Is there anything else to help you?
    12 hours 33 minutes ago
  • Thanks Andy, method I was the right answer for my question. I thought that a one step migration from 2012 Essentials to 2016 Standard is not possible, but I was expecting that a two step migration is possible. Method II is not a good option now, we have only one physical server and no extra resources and we have not enough time to build up the server again from scratch. The question had aimed how can we keep off from this.
    12 hours 23 minutes ago