Cannot Send HTML Email Using Merge (Word 2007 and Outlook 2007) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

(Running Windows 7 Enterprise)

I have searched this forum and google for about a day now and am about at my wit's end with this problem.  Long story short, about 3 months ago (the last time I did a successful email merge from Word) I was using the entire Office 2007 suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).  Then, due to some Excel 2010 functionality I needed to view a report in my office, I upgraded to Office 2010--EXCEPT Outlook.  I kept Outlook 2007 on the advice of my corporate help desk (calendar problems, I was told).  Last week, I tried to do my first email merge since the Office 2010 upgrade (if you're keeping track at home:  I created my data file in Excel 2010 (.csv), associated it with Word 2010 to insert my merge fields, and Outlook 2007 was the only mail client on my computer.  When I click "Finish and Merge" in Word, selecting to send HTML email--nothing happens.  Nothing in the Outlook outbox or sent items.  The emails won't send.  When I change the mail format to "attachment" or "plain text" the merge works--no problems.  But, due to the nature of what I'm trying to send, the only viable option is HTML.  

Here's what I've done so far:

1.  I read something that said Outlook 2007 and Word 2010 were incompatible in terms of the merge functionality, so I uninstalled Word 2010 and reinstalled Word 2007--now the versions of Outlook and Word match, but the problem persists.  I have recreated my .csv file and word docs.

2.  I read that I needed to install Office 2010 Service Pack 1 (which didn't make much sense now that I'm using both Word 2007 and Outlook 2007, but because I still have Excel 2010 installed, I thought, what the heck).  No better--problem still persists.

3.  I have verified that Outlook is my default mail client

4.  I read somewhere else that I needed to install the Microsoft Hotfix associated with KB980681.  I downloaded it, but when attempting to run it, I get an error message telling me that the "Update is Not Applicable to My Computer."

What am I missing??????

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The problem might occur if some registry entries corrupted.

Please try to repair Office that matches your Office version:

- If Word & Outlook are same as 2007, please repair Office 2007 run the Microsoft Office Diagnostics feature. 

1.  In Windows, click Start.

2.  Point to All Programs, point to Microsoft Office, point to Microsoft Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office Diagnostics.

- If Word 2010, Outlook 2007, please repair Office 2010 from Control Panel:

1.  Click Start, then click Control Panel.

2.  Click Programs and Features.

3.  Click the Office 2010 program that you want to repair, then click Change.

4.  Click Repair, then click Continue. You might need to restart your computer after the repair is complete.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:35 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, William.

I should have indicated this in my original message, but I had previously run both the Office 2007 and 2010 repair processes as well.  However, on the off chance that I missed a step, I ran the repair process again.  No change.  Still cannot do HTML email merges.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:50 PM
  • Hi,

Please down-grade office application to 2007 test if it helps.

You can run this fix it tool to remove office 2010 automatically.
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9737366

Best regards.

William Zhou

Friday, May 25, 2012 1:32 AM
  • Thank you again, William. Just ran the fix it tool.  No more office 2010 applications exist on my machine.  Still have the problem.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot  in Windows 7

You may also test with a new user account:

Create a user account

Fix a corrupted user profile

Best regards.

William Zhou

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:04 AM