none
No toggle for Ink Annotations in Office 2016 after Current Branch - 16.0.6568.2025 upgrade? RRS feed

• Question

• After my office upgraded the other day, Microsoft Office has been almost completely unusable for me.  This is because for the last year or so I've been using a Wacom tablet and stylus in place of a mouse.  I do a lot of work in Excel and Word for my job, but now I cannot place a cursor anywhere or select anything without marking everything up and doodling on everything.  This is extremely frustrating--how can I turn this off????  This feature would be wonderful if I could toggle it, but I can't find a toggle switch anywhere, and reading the details at 

support. office. com/en-us/article/Draw-and-annotate-with-ink-in-Office-2016-c00b7319-2b50-4784-8114-47593d991c5c?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

for this feature, it sounds like it cannot be toggled on and off for people in my situation!  Can this be?

"To stop inking and select your annotations, either to modify or move them, pick Select Objects.
    NOTE: If you're using an active pen or stylus, inking will still be active as long as you're using the pen or stylus—even after picking Select Objects."  (!)

Please fix ASAP.  This is EXTREMELY frustrating.  I HATE using a mouse, I invested money in a tablet and stylus to be more productive and ergonomic, and now I cannot use Office for anything other than doodling all over the place.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Agree 10000%. Do people at Microsoft even use their products? I'm literally pirating an older version so that I can get work done. Unbelievable.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:01 PM
  • I thought this was just me - Excel has become more or less unusable for me as well, using a Wacom tablet.

Possibly the worst update I could imagine!

Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:12 PM
  • Agree. This change makes Surface Pro with pen less productive. I hope the MS engineers will fix.
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:15 PM
  • Completely agree!  I came into work and now find my Surface Pro completely unusable, I can barely function.

What can be done?

This NEEDS to be fixed ASAP!!!

Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:43 PM
  • I am a CPA and extremely busy and I wasted several hours of time I do not have on this issue.  I even tried use restore point twice but no effect.

Now my computer is not acting properly as well due to the restore point.  

I cannot use mouse for a long time because then I will feel pain in my hands so now I have to switch between mouse and my wacom tablet.

You can turn off the then Pen in the tablet but then the pen will act weird so MS should really fix this one fast.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 10:12 PM
  • I completely agree.  I use a Surface Pro 3 and am writing a book.  I use the pen to produce all my drawings and text manipulations and this is no longer possible - I just ink all over the document.  This has reduced my productivity massively. The functionality should not be one mode only - it should be togglable.  I would strongly encourage Microsoft to immediately correct this oversight. I also suggest that this problem reflects a gap in Microsoft's design process; they should connect with users before they finalise an innovation.  As it is now, this change does not constitute an innovation, it is a backward step.

Friday, February 26, 2016 12:52 AM
  • 10000% agree! Microsoft please LISTEN!
    Friday, February 26, 2016 7:30 AM
  • Utterly agree. I use a Wacom instead of a mouse because my wrist hurts. The tablet is now USELESS. I will unsubscribe from 365 if this is not fixed. 

Whats more I can't even sort CSV columns by dates such as 28/01/2016 in office 2016. It used to work. Microsoft is just worthless.

Friday, February 26, 2016 8:17 AM
  • Here is the solution.. the reason is that you have office insider selected, unfortunately, you have to uninstall office then go to your office account, additional installation options, then select office 2013 32 or 64 bit and install it.

I hope it works for you as it did for me.

Ashraf

Friday, February 26, 2016 11:25 AM
  • Hi everyone,

Please see this post for more information about Surface Pro Pen.

After Office 2016 update 16.0.6568.2025, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel users can no longer use the Surface Pro Pen as a mouse

Thank you!

Anahita Bahrami

Saturday, March 5, 2016 12:18 AM
  • I was happy to see new updates to my Microsoft Office 365 programs until I tried to use them.  I, exactly like this poster, LeightonN, am a WACOM tablet user.  I was literally dumbfounded when I entered the workspace with my pointer and all I could get was pen marks.  To say "Extremely frustrating" does not come close to describing it.  Even with the Select Objects button clicked on, the instant I enter the workspace with my pen I only get ink, even right clicking with my pen button won't work!!!! 

After hours wasted I found this "Note  If you're using an active pen or stylus, inking will still be active as long as you're using the pen or stylus—even after picking Select Objects."  and I thought Microsoft isn't adding features, they are taking them away!

I am sure you are working on a change to this and until that happens there are going to be many very unhappy people.  Please fix ASAP!

Friday, March 11, 2016 2:59 AM
  • I feel that I must point out that while this may solve the automatic pen detection and inking "feature", it is nothing more than a serious downgrade and that is not what we all pay for.
    Friday, March 11, 2016 3:02 AM
  • There has been nothing more regarding this very frustrating issue since February 28th. Is there a fix in place yet?! are we supposed to (a) go out and buy a mouse or (b) sit back, patiently, and put off using Office until Microsoft figures this out? Please give us, at the very least, an update!
    Saturday, March 12, 2016 8:49 PM
  • There has been an update on this.  I re-installed 365 and I can use my pen now in excel without drawing.  Although when I toggle the pen, I was not able to turn off.  I re-started excel - no change but when I clicked the options to use the pen, it turns off instead of on.  It looks like the options is just on or off either way.   No idea but this needs more work.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 9:52 PM