none
Auto Scheduling tasks not using the As Soon as time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to build a project in Project 2016 professional to run over an weekend and through the night. I have set the Calendar to 24 hours and set the work days to be through the weekend.

When I try to set an auto-schedule task to start directly after one finishing on Saturday at 19:15 project sets the start time to 8:00 the following day (Sunday), but should start at 19:15.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Simon

• Edited by Simon-C Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:22 PM
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:17 PM

Answers

• Simon-C --

Is the Project Calendar (click Project > Project Information) set to the 24 Hours calendar?  If so, good start.

Do you have a resource assigned to the task that is scheduled to start at 8:00 AM?  And if so, is the Base Calendar for this resource set to the Standard calendar?  If so, that would cause your scheduling problem.  When you assign a resource to a task, the calendar of the resource overrides the Project Calendar.

Please let us know if this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Simon-C Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:53 PM
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:25 PM

All replies

• Simon-C --

Is the Project Calendar (click Project > Project Information) set to the 24 Hours calendar?  If so, good start.

Do you have a resource assigned to the task that is scheduled to start at 8:00 AM?  And if so, is the Base Calendar for this resource set to the Standard calendar?  If so, that would cause your scheduling problem.  When you assign a resource to a task, the calendar of the resource overrides the Project Calendar.

Please let us know if this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Simon-C Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:53 PM
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:25 PM
  • Hello Simon-C

Have you thought about using elapse duration instead of 24 hour calendar.  For example 10ED goes over the weekends.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, August 31, 2017 1:15 AM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for your reply, and you hit it on the head the resources I had assigned were set to use the standard calendar.

I have now changed this to the 24hr calendar and all seems to be well.

Thanks again

Simon

Thursday, August 31, 2017 8:18 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Michael, the resource was the issue in the end.

Regards

Simon

Thursday, August 31, 2017 8:19 AM
  • Simon --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend.  If my reply did answer your question, would you please mark my reply as the answer?  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, August 31, 2017 3:11 PM
  • Dale,

It did and I have set it as so.

Cheers

Simon

Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:53 PM